Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Projector Model Recommendations?

Posted 01-23-2019 05:59 PM
    Does anyone have recommendations for projecting fine art, particularly New Media/Video?  We are looking for 3 types of projectors.  1. Inside the gallery. 2. Outdoor to project onto the outside wall, etc. 3. portable for off-campus events.  Thank you.

------------------------------
    Stuart Chase
    Director
    Monterey Museum of Art
    Monterey CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Projector Model Recommendations?

Posted 01-24-2019 09:45 AM
    Stuart,

How are you doing?  The Henry Ford Museum and National Constitution Center use professional grade Panasonic Projectors.  Here is an example of what our videos looked like at Henry Ford.

sales@acclaro.com
    This was a 16 foot in diameter projection.  It was crystal clear although admittedly in a dark space.

Much of what you want to get will depend on these factors...
    - Lighting conditions (lit room, dark room, day, night, etc) and how bright you want the image
    - 1080P or 4K resolution
    - How big you need to project
    - Budget

I am also a fan of BenQ projectors.

Hope this helps.
    Rich

Richard Bradway
    Director of Digital Learning and Engagement
    Norman Rockwell Museum
    Stockbridge MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Projector Model Recommendations?

Posted 01-24-2019 11:45 AM
    Hi Stuart,

Our museum has a Science on a Sphere, which requires four projectors, that we recently upgraded. The projectors we bought are Panasonic DLP Projectors, model: PT-RZ570. I think they would be great for art installations as well (indoor use, non-portable), they don't use a bulb, but lasers to project the image, so you don't have to worry about dying bulbs. They have a lifespan of 5400 lumens (so 10+ years). The one catch is they are PRICEY, but it could be a great investment depending on the length of your installation. 

Here's a link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1224849-REG/panasonic_pt_rz570wu_pt_rz570_series_1_chip_dlp.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4aXiBRCRARIsAMBZGz8deko6pvc9EARQvF5gh1Qf22F_G29r1E3S37HKJKaVffQoPlcF0cAaAqWqEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

Amelia Whitehead
    Collections Manager
    International Museum of Art & Science
    McAllen TX

• 4.  RE: Projector Model Recommendations?

Posted 01-24-2019 02:27 PM
    Hi,

There is totally no such thing as a one size all projector, there are so many available, throw distance, ability to control ambient light. Projector placement... aqnd it goes on. Like so many things it is not a matter of pick the best, but picking the most appropriate for the task. . I am giving you some links, that will help you determine exactly how to narrow down the 45,000 different projectors on the market to a small group that you can apply "regular filters to" (price, reviews, etc.) and pick you projector. 

These links were passed to me from a AV professional when I was purchasing a projector for our general meeting room, and now I pass them to you.

This article is a good in-depth read covering all the major aspects of buying a projector: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/buying-guide/projectors?BI=572&c3api=0980,110370500933&gclid=CM6vhZrSzc4CFUEkhgod5OgE6Q

This link is a good place to start too with some of the most common features to consider when buying: Projector Buying Guide for Business Projectorshttp://www.projectorcentral.com/buyers_guide.htm

Once you know more about your throw ratio, images size, resolution, and brightness needs, these are two good links for narrowing down potential projectors by feature http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm and for calculating different throw ratios and distances based on your specific room setup.

It took me a awhile to parse through all the options, but it was well worth the effort. I ended up with an Epson 965H. The projector is well suited for its task, a few years later, I am still happy and so is everyone else. Minor aside, we had a high end video installation team out here to install projector for a high profile exhibit here (one specified by the programmers who built the video interactive we were projecting.)  I asked them what they though about the model projector I had picked (my new Epson 965H,)  the tech's response was  "that projector is an excellent value, it is a great choice for your purpose. " So I suggest reading the links, learn more about projectors than you ever wanted to. Then after your Museum is outfitted you can start thinking about your own home theater.

Good Luck!
    Christina

Christina Doe
    Facilities Manager
    Rosenbach Museum & Library
    Philadelphia PA

• 5.  RE: Projector Model Recommendations?

Posted 01-24-2019 02:30 PM
    Apologies, I forgot a link. Also, sorry for all the errors in my original reply.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Christina Doe
    Facilities Manager
    Rosenbach Museum & Library
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: Projector Model Recommendations?

Posted 01-25-2019 11:59 AM
    +1 with Christina.  It's not just a matter of selecting a good projector.  There is a lot of math involved.  If you don't have the time to research it all, you should consider calling in a professional before spending large amounts of money on something that won't work.

Bill Browne
    Westlake LA