Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-14-2018 03:33 PM
    ​Hello All,

I'm looking for experiences people have had with getting their museum on to Google Arts and Culture. Specifically, we're wondering what responsibilities end up falling with the institution and what responsibilities fall to Google. Any additional thoughts and experiences are welcome.

Many thanks

------------------------------
    Regina Lynch
    Curator of Education
    Biggs Museum of American Art
    Dover DE
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-15-2018 09:35 AM
    Hi Reggie!
    We've had a wonderful (continued) experience with Google Arts and Culture. It did take a good amount of collaboration between our registrar and a member of our education department who really spearheaded the project, but the results have been worth it. I'd be happy to put you in touch with her if that's helpful.
    -Louise

Louise Feder
    Assistant Curator
    James A. Michener Art Museum
    Doylestown PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-15-2018 11:38 AM
    ​Louise!

Great to hear from you! I'd love to be in touch with one or both of the people who managed the project. If you and they don't mind, my email is rlynch@biggsmuseum.org

Regina Lynch
    Curator of Education
    Biggs Museum of American Art
    Dover DE

• 4.  RE: Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-15-2018 10:36 AM

Hi Reggie,

We've participated in Google Arts and Culture's We Wear Culture project. 

I'd be happy to speak with you about it.

Best,

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-15-2018 11:39 AM
    Hi there.

Google Arts and Culture is a great project and I'm glad you are considering joining. 

I don't know much about the joining process (as an NPS employee, we have a standing agreement with Google Arts & Culture). However once you have joined, Google will create a central dashboard for you. It is then your responsibility to upload photographs and metadata for your objects. You have the option of creating exhibits in the dashboard as well; Google will generally not create the exhibits for you. Google will also confirm that your photos and metadata meet the standards before they go live to the public, but generally once your dashboard is created, Google are fairly hands off.

Good luck!

Virginia Bones
    Museum Technician
    John Muir National Historic Site
    Martinez CA

• 6.  RE: Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-16-2018 10:43 AM
    Google Arts & Culture has provided opportunities for us to create online exhibitions that we don't have space to share online. They have larger and/or different audiences than our site in D.C., and we have been able to get some (but not all we want) in the way of analytics so that we can measure and report out on our reach. However, Google makes changes to this platform on a regular basis, and they do not notify in advance. At times, these can really change the user interface and the ways that your exhibitions are experienced. So, if you are only using the object/image interface, you're probably okay, but if you're planning to build exhibitions, just be aware that you may need to keep an eye on them and make changes. Also, if you embed the exhibitions and images in your own website, be aware that they are not responsive to mobile devices - Google wants the traffic to theirs. Again, remember that this is their tool, and while it can be helpful, you are really providing them with content - they hold the reins. So long as you are aware of these potential bugaboos, it's a great tool.

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Google Arts and Culture

Posted 02-19-2018 10:02 AM
    In addition to what Sarah said, I'll add that Google Arts & Culture was originally Google Art Project, and the interface still reflects that. It's very artwork- and object-oriented. So, for example, if you have an image from another repository that you want to use as part of a narrative online exhibition, you have to upload it as an item, which then shows up as one among your items. The Museum View feature has lost some of its functionality, as well--when we first launched with it, I spent several hours over a couple of days matching artifacts and historic images to their locations, a function that then went away with a later version. A new version of the virtual tour in Street View (different from the tour accessible in Google Arts & Culture) tries to automatically match artworks to items in your collection, with moderate success.

That said, the fact that it's a free tool where you do the uploads, etc. (so your costs will be staff time), and one that gets a decent amount of usage, is a big plus. Right now, we're using it as our virtual tour after we redesigned our website and took down a tour we had previously built in Flash. And we essentially use it as an artifact catalog, too.

Glad to talk with anyone else about the pluses and minuses!

David McKenzie
    Associate Director for Interpretive Resources
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC