Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Library catalogue within house museum

Posted 03-12-2022 09:32 PM
    Hi,

I'm looking for specific recommendations for models of library cataloguing and archiving the personal library and effects of a significant figure. 
    I'm not a librarian, but I'm part of a small collective responsible for the conservation and care of the house and archive of a philosopher, and we're researching sustainable approaches to making a catalogue of an extensive personal library (approx 2000-3000 books) accessible to researchers and visitors to the house. Not a borrowing library, but a searchable database. Key concerns are the environmental footprint of cloud storage and a very limited budget.
    1. What are the best free cataloguing systems out there?
    2. What are some great house-museums that include personal libraries?
    Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Laurel Bureau
    Narrm, Australia
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Library catalogue within house museum

Posted 03-14-2022 11:35 AM
    Hi Laurel,
    What a wonderful project! Here at Artwork Archive we help collection managers, archivists, etc. catalog and manage their collections of artworks, books, collectibles, etc.

I'd be happy to give you a tour of our platform. We are not free but we are very affordable with our plans starting at $29USD a month. You can connect with me directly at elysian@artworkarchive.com.

I'll also put on my thinking cap re: house museums with personal libraries. My graduate studies was in public humanities so I came across quite a few house museums with wonderful collections and educational missions. The first that comes to mind is the John Brown House Museum at Brown University: https://www.rihs.org/locations/the-john-brown-house-museum/

Others: The Molly Brown House in Denver, Colorado
    You could also connect with the Cape Ann Museum in Gloucester, Massachusetts (my hometown) about the various house museums in Cape Ann and if they have libraries. The first that comes to mind is the Sargent House Museum. 

Cheers,
    Elysian

--

Elysian McNiff Koglmeier (she/her)
    Head of Growth
    Artwork Archive

Part Time Hours
    Online: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Library catalogue within house museum

Posted 03-24-2022 06:26 PM
    Hey Laurel,

I don't know exactly how great they are but I did want to share a few that I do know of that are free to use or free to use to a certain point. There is LibraryThing and TinyCat. Along with Librarika (which is new to me but looked like an option). I work with a place, Engel Georgist Library, that uses both LibraryThing and TinyCat. It's a small library that is all about this one person. 

If you want to talk further, let me know! 

Best,
    Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Deppe
    University Libraries - Seton Hall University
    South Orange NJ