Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-16-2021 12:32 PM

Our museum is exploring updates to exhibit lighting; I am looking for pros/cons, and other comments, regarding your experience (in a museum) of going from incandescent to LED bulbs.

Thank you

Elizabeth Schexnyder, MLIS, Curator

225-642-1950

National Hansen's Disease Museum

Carville, LA 70721

www.hrsa.gov/hansens-disease/museum

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-19-2021 10:02 AM
    Good morning!

Two years ago our museum made the complete switchover from halogen to LED bulbs in all of our galleries. I'll list the pros and cons below:

Pros:
    Bulbs are cooler and much easier to handle 
    They last significantly longer (we used to to lightbulb checks/replacements every morning before the museum opened and now we don't have to)
    The LED bulbs produce significantly less UV so there is less worry regarding exposure to artwork, particularly WOP
    The LED bulbs are available in the same socket types as the incandescents so they fit in the same housings/units
    You can buy magnetic beam adjusters that snap onto the bulbs which is super handy and much preferable to the glass ones used for incandescents

Cons:
    The individual bulbs are significantly more expensive per unit than traditional incandescents
    We have noticed after two years that the color temperature can change on the bulbs over time (often going from cool white to a warmer yellow)

Ultimately the cost and reinstallation are going to be the biggest hurdles to overcome, but I can personally attest that they save so much time and effort in long run. We replaced all of our halogen incandescents with Soraa MR16 LED's. (https://www.soraa.com)

Please reach out if you would like any more information about this! 

------------------------------
    Keri Smith
    Associate Preparator
    Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art - University of Oklahoma
    Norman OK

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-19-2021 10:54 AM
    thank you Keri Smith, that was what I was looking for, real world feedback.
    I will digest the list and test the LED bulbs and then might come back with more specific questions.
    this is a solid start.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Schexnyder MLS
    Curator
    National Hansen's Disease Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 4.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-20-2021 07:06 AM
    Elizabeth-

A few additional pros and cons re: LED conversion:

Pros:
    + Lighting is one of the biggest energy users in a museum. Going to LED can mean a reduction in electric bills of up to 30%.
    + An LED conversion is a substantial commitment to green practices, and can be used to help launch a museum's formal environmental stewardship effort.
    + An LED conversion can be an attractive project for a donor, and a relatively easy sell for your development office.
    + "Going green" in such a visible way can provide some great press.

Cons:
    - Taking into account research, consultants, testing, bidding and the actual physical retrofit, the cost and effort for a full LED conversion is enormous. It may well take you five years to see a break-even from the capital investment.
    - At least some of the equipment, fixtures or lamps you plan for will be obsolete by the time you install them. [Inherent in any technical enterprise, but a con nonetheless.]
    - LED color temperatures and beam spreads are all over the map. A solution to replace your preferred PAR lamp can be found, but it will mean some arduous research and testing.

We did such a conversion at my former museum shortly before I retired. It was the single most impactful improvement to the physical plant - and the fiscal bottom line - that I'd ever proposed in 17 years of heading operations.

-John

John Wharton
    Docent
    Revs Institute
    Naples FL

• 5.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-21-2021 08:29 AM
    Elizabeth,

You may be interested in talks that can be found on YouTube that were given at a conference titled "Gallery Illumination: LED Lighting in Today's Museums" that we organized at the  Lunder Conservation Center at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in April 2013. Even though 8 years have passed, the content is still useful re: questions about LEDs in museums and the process of converting the lighting system.

The program and some videos are nicely organized by this website: http://www.paccin.org/content.php?313-LED-lighting-Lunder-Symposium-2013

Best wishes,

Tiarna Doherty
    Ph.D. Candidate; former Chief of Conservation
    University of Delaware Graduate Programs
    Fairfax VA

• 6.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-21-2021 12:33 PM
    Hi Elizabeth,

I'm passionate about LEDs and have more to add than my fingers can type. Plus there are some caveats that I can help you with, the recommendations will depend on some of your goals.
    Background, I've been into LEDs in museums before they were acceptable, before their light quality was right. I tried samples every couple years until they truly were ready. I made a case to management and successfully moved our entire museum to LEDs many years ago. I went from GE to SORAA over the years (sometimes Green Creative). The fixtures themselves have a part to play as well. Anywho, feel free to reach out to me directly and I'll walk you though what I know.

This is an open offer to everyone, I love LEDs in museums and have seen a lot and have done a lot of research over the years. Call me and we'll talk shop!
    916-360-0424
    Cheers,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 7.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-22-2021 10:31 AM
    Hello Elizabeth,
    Like Matthew, I was an early adopter and experimenter with LED lighting. It started out expensive and exclusive, now it's reasonable and mainstream.  We converted our entire museum a few years ago, and I'd like to mention a few more aspects:
    • LEDs don't run as hot, (though they make more heat than was originally promised) so the HVAC system doesn't have to work as hard in warmer months 
    • One of the calculations for energy savings was the reduced heat load from the lighting system
    • We were able to swing a fat rebate from the power company, which paid for about a third of the conversion
    • Our power company hired a third party to administer their rebate program, and those folks were super helpful navigating the rebate process
    There don't seem to be as many rebate programs as there once was, but it pays to check both power company and government  sources. The savings in energy usage alone is reason enough to convert.  We don't change dead bulbs daily anymore, that's a huge savings of time and effort.  One more thing--make sure your lighting power supply and dimmer systems will work with your intended LED replacement bulbs.  Green Creative, working with our local supplier, was nice enough to "loan" us a number of bulbs to test a couple of dimmer circuits before we committed.  
    We jumped in a little early, fixture prices plummeted since we converted.  However today there's no real good reason NOT to convert to LEDs.  Hope that helps,

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
    Springdale AR

• 8.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-22-2021 11:59 AM
    Hi Elizabeth  - 

The conversion from halogen to LED lighting can be arduous and expensive, but what choice do we have?  Initially, I had to replace 250w PAR38 bulbs, but the manufacturers were only producing LEDs up to a 100w equivalent.  After two years and on the heels of a halogen phase-out, both Sylvania and GE began producing 250w halogen equivalent LED bulbs.  More recently, MR16 halogens were facing the "chopping block".   Sure, the 50w equivalent LEDs were out there as long as you were okay with 2700k or 4000K.  Finally, GE has come out with 3000k and 3500k MR16 LED bulbs.  I ordered 100 or so and began to replace.  Within 10 seconds the bulbs would flicker. Dumbfounded, I spoke with GE and met with electricians and lighting experts.  Everyone concluded that the bulbs were defective.  When I met with our lighting manufacturer, I was informed that newer LED fixtures have slightly different drivers.  These bulbs do, however, work in our non-track fixtures.  I'm now in the process of ordering $60,000.00 in MR16 fixtures with non-replaceable 3000k bulbs to get us started.  The bottom line is that LED bulbs may or may not work in your fixtures.  The rebates are drying up, but I've heard there are grants for upgrades.

Best.

William Menshon
    Facilities/Security Manager
    Burchfield Penney Art Center - SUNY Buffalo State
    Buffalo NY

• 9.  RE: from incandescent to LED

Posted 07-28-2021 02:01 PM
    WoW William, that was kinda scary. I was reading your reply on my phone and had to zip to the bottom to see if you were at the Crocker with me. Your experience echos mine to a T! Elizabeth this is all really good advice. I'll add that you WILL NOT get the advertised lamp hours out of them. They last a lot longer than incandescent, but they will not do 40-50K hours. At least not with a color temperature that is suitable for a museum. Good luck, call any time!

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA