Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LGBTQ Alliance Professional Network ?

Posted 12-22-2016 12:59 PM

Hello - 

Last year we had a family day in June for pride week that was enjoyed by many and we would like to expand on it this year by adding a small art exhibition.  I was curious if anyone in the New Orleans area would like to work together for this coming June 2017. I missed the AAM conference this year so missed the presentation but appreciated the LGBTQ Network welcome guide, which we shared at work before our event last year.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated – 

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: LGBTQ Alliance Professional Network ?

Posted 12-23-2016 08:53 AM

Hi Lenora,

I think this is a fantastic project, and I love that your museum has a family day for Pride!! What size is your venue/how much artwork are you looking to program? I've done quite a bit of organizing for our LGBTQ community here in creating art shows in Gainesville with both local and national calls for art. Do you have an idea of what type of artists you'd like to exhibit? (local, national, folk, contemporary, historical, etc.?) Feel free to email me, I know I'm a bit farther away but I'm happy to help where I can!

Very Best,

Oliver

Oliver Klicker
    Chief Preparator
    Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL
    oklicker@harn.ufl.edu

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: LGBTQ Alliance Professional Network ?

Posted 12-27-2016 09:48 AM

Hi Lenora,
    I earned my Masters in Museum Studies at SUNO, and I have no doubts many of my fellow students would love to help you with this event. I shared your message with them. Dr.Haitham Eid currently manages that program, and might be a great resource. 

Best of luck on this show! I wish I were still in NOLA to help out, or see it!

Amrit 

Amrit Moore MBA
    Educational Programs Assistant
    Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh PA

• 4.  RE: LGBTQ Alliance Professional Network ?

Posted 12-28-2016 10:09 AM
    Lenora,
    It is wonderful to hear that you are using the Welcoming Guidelines in your planning.  There was a panel at the last AAM on family days and adolescent programs.  One suggestion from our institutions in the panel was to have adolescents create the exhibition/public program for your family event.

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive

As Yip Harburg said, Song is the anodyne for humanity.  This is not the first time that American has needed song to re-instate its faith in democracy and diversity.  Come see "Laughter, agita and Rage:" Political cabaret in Isaiah Sheffer's NYC.  It is in the Plaza and Steinberg corridors at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts or on-line at https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/laughter-agita-rage.

James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]

• 5.  RE: LGBTQ Alliance Professional Network ?

Posted 01-03-2017 10:23 AM

Morning - 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  Longue Vue is historic house/gardens with eight acres of grounds that we can place sculpture in and two small areas for exhibits.  The larger space (900 sq. /ft.) is in the main house and the smaller space (300sq/ft.) is in the building next to the children's garden. Last year most of the families that came have children under 10 so we were thinking of using the smaller space this first year as its closer to where the kids are playing with expanding to the larger area the year following.  The smaller space is also used for meetings at time so we keep items to 2D format but otherwise we do not really have any requirements.  As our founders loved both decorative arts and began collecting contemporary artist in the 1960s, we use this as a way to pull in any topic/format we want to use.

Thank you again for your advice

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA