Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Marketing

Posted 08-17-2019 04:06 PM
    Happy Saturday,
    Quick question for all of those who have a membership program: how do you market it? Paid advertising? Direct mail?

I’ve written a pretty thorough plan for the fiscal year and am getting push back because of the level of marketing I want to do. I’d love some examples to share with my team.

Thanks,
    Kara

Sent from my iPhone
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Marketing

Posted 08-19-2019 08:27 AM
    Edited by Dana Hines 08-19-2019 12:11 PM
    Kara, 

to do do a good job of marketing and promoting your membership program you need to do direct mail acquisition (letter packages not postcards) to your lapsed members, people who use your programs but are not members and to outside audiences to bring in fresh, new people.  You also need to do paid digital ads not just posts and boosts.  You also need to do a good job of face to face selling to people who visit. These three tactics will account for 90% of all new members.  Top it off with a gift membership program At year end during the holidays

if you want backup proof to your leaders that this is the best plan, please read a book I co-authored entitled "Membership Marketing in the digital age" available at Roman & Littlefield through AAM or Amazon

good luck!!

Dana Hines

------------------------------
    Dana Hines
    Vice President Membership Marketing

Membership Consultants
    Saint Louis MO
    dana@membership-consultants.com
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Marketing

Posted 08-19-2019 11:10 AM
    Primarily direct mail and email marketing.  We do know that Membership is also driven by overall brand marketing (regardless whether the CTA is to buy tickets), so we assume those paid advertising methods also drive Membership sales.

--
    Melissa Felder
    415-710-0643
    Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences

Discover the shape-shifting, color-changing, and ever-evolving nature of skin in the new, multilingual exhibit Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity-now open.