Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Gender Pronouns

• 1.  Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-13-2019 02:58 PM

Hello all,

Are there organizations that list gender pronouns on their staff name tags? If so I would love examples of how it's going and pictures of the tags. Thank you so much!

Parker McMullen Bushman

Vice President of Programs, Interpretation and Exhibits, Butterfly Pavilion

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers*
    Address: 6252 West 104th Avenue Westminster, CO 80020

Office:  720.974.1863  Cell: 773-426-2738
    Email: pmcmullenbushman@butterflies.org          

* Sharing your pronouns and checking with others about what pronouns they use helps build welcoming spaces for transgender and gender diverse people.

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

image005.png@01D44F44.E16107B0

'If we and the rest of the back-boned animals were to disappear overnight, the rest of the world would get on pretty well. But if the invertebrates were to disappear, the world's ecosystems would collapse.' Sir David Attenborough

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-13-2019 03:05 PM
    We do not list them on name badges and they are optional for email signatures. The pronouns are immediately under the staff person's name, and before their official title.

------------------------------
    Michael Lorusso
    Associate Registrar
    Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College
    Colorado Springs CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-14-2019 05:55 AM
    Hi
    Employees can voluntarily have their gender pronouns listed on their name tags.  It is listed below their name and job title.

Jean Irvine
    Portland Museum of Art
    Portland ME

• 4.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-14-2019 09:25 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello,

We started having preferred gender pronouns on our name tags two years ago. We rolled it out with front line teams first for cost reasons. It is not optional for staff, we took a unified stance. There were a lot of unanticipated amazing things that came of of this, that helped push us to be inclusive in many more ways that we had not previously thought of.

Mindy Galik
    Manager For Public Safety and Gallery Experience
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH

• 5.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-17-2019 06:17 PM
    Mindy, would you be willing to share any examples of the unexpected outcomes you mention?

Mandela Lyon
    Program Development Coordinator
    Carnegie Museum of Natural History
    Pittsburgh PA

• 6.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-21-2019 10:17 PM

Thank you to everyone who replied! This was super helpful!

Parker McMullen Bushman

Vice President of Programs, Interpretation and Exhibits, Butterfly Pavilion

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers*
    Address: 6252 West 104th Avenue Westminster, CO 80020

Office:  720.974.1863  Cell: 773-426-2738
    Email: pmcmullenbushman@butterflies.org          

* Sharing your pronouns and checking with others about what pronouns they use helps build welcoming spaces for transgender and gender diverse people.

www.butterflies.org

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

image005.png@01D44F44.E16107B0

1.0_Insectival_728x90

'If we and the rest of the back-boned animals were to disappear overnight, the rest of the world would get on pretty well. But if the invertebrates were to disappear, the world's ecosystems would collapse.' Sir David Attenborough

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

• 7.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-14-2019 01:36 PM
    Edited by Michael Holland 06-14-2019 01:50 PM

The museum I'm working for uses gender pronouns on badges.  Text beneath the ID photo is as follows:

NAME

he/him/she/her/they/them

Department (Geology, Biology, Archaeology, etc.)

Affiliation (Staff, Volunteer, etc.) 

I haven't heard any objections to this from staff/personnel (although this doesn't mean that there haven't been any).  A number of them have expressed agreement with and support for this change.  Personally, I'm glad to see it.  While in some instances it may prevent misgendering or resolve possible ambiguity, I think the message of inclusivity and respect is just as important. 

Michael 

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions

Redmond, WA USA

• 8.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-16-2019 11:50 AM
    Edited by Megan Osetek 06-16-2019 11:50 AM
    Hello Parker, 

Thank you for asking this question and I'm so happy to see multiple organizations post on this thread! The small steps we all take together will add up and make a larger impact on the whole industry wide. I truly believe this <3 

While our museum or parent organization doesn't require pronoun listings, we do provide materials to those who would like to list their pronouns on their name tags. We are looking at adding it to our business cards, eventually, as a whole organization. Since our name tags are managed by the marketing department and they haven't understood the need, I just added mine and other staff as they request to the printed name tag with a label maker, see below. Many at our organization also list it in their email signature, same format. 
    It is in the same model as those already outline: 

Name
    Title
    Pronouns 
    Museum branding below

Megan Osetek
    Interpretation Manager
    Pronouns: She, Her, Hers

Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 9.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-17-2019 12:41 PM
    Ours are optional, for mail signature and badge.

Mikala Woodward
    Exhibit Developer
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 10.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-17-2019 05:06 PM
    I strongly recommend that you look at the Toolkit for Transgender Inclusion developed by the LGBTQ Alliance this year.  The Toolkit for institutions has text on why and how pronouns can be clarified for internal and external uses.
    --
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D., FRSA
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive
    Now blogging at outsidethemuseumblog on Wordpress.com

(she, her, ms.)
     James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]
    Mila Jasey -- If you are not at the table, you are on the menu

• 11.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-18-2019 08:09 AM
      |   view attached
    Over the last year or so we have started putting them in our email signatures and it is optional for staff. We have also just begun putting them on nametags and this is optional as well. 

Justin Tognarine
    Operations Manager, Carnegie Science Center; Accessibility Coach, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 12.  RE: Gender Pronouns

Posted 06-18-2019 02:16 PM
    I suggest that putting pronouns on nametags, etc., always be optional. Keep in mind that not everyone who is non-binary, transgender, or genderqueer may be "out" at work, and requiring the usage of pronouns may be stressful for them. I think it's great to encourage everyone to participate, especially cisgender allies, in creating a culture of inclusion. In my experience, most employees are willing to participate voluntarily if they receive training and/or resources.

I second the earlier recommendation of the resources published earlier this year by the LGTBQ alliance of AAM!
    https://www.aam-us.org/professional-networks/lgbtq-alliance/

Hillary Lauren
    Lead Learning Facilitator
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Seattle WA