Open Forum

View Only

Travelling Exhibits for College Galleries

• 1.  Travelling Exhibits for College Galleries

Posted 01-07-2020 01:25 PM
    Please post under "Travelling Exhibits for College Galleries". Thank you.

"Untouched: An Artist's Estate"--  Visitors to this art installation transform into "executors"--deciding the ultimate fates of works of art-- as they peruse and sort through the studio of an imaginary just deceased artist. The installation stems from my employment more than 20 years ago   as   associate director of the Princeton University Art Museum (Princeton, NJ)  when I became convinced that college and university galleries/museums are most meaningful to university students when they can be teaching tools  directly aligned with  appropriate curricula, rather than explorations of remote subjects to which students really can't relate. As a working artist and as a "retirement project", I have developed an art installation-- rather than a formal "exhibit" per se, that prods students to think about and prepare for their own artistic legacies, whether  by motorcycle accident in their youth  or old age 75 years hence. This project evolved as a working artist/ adjunct faculty   while recently teaching the "senior capstone studio course" at the Univ. of Arkansas, Fort Smith and it ultimately encourages students to name an "art executor" to ensure their legacies rather than to depend on relatives and friends who may know nothing about art. 

The installation requires a minimum of 150-200 square feet and already has two tentative University venues during Fall semester, 2020. I am looking for a possible third and fourth. The cost to the University gallery to "rent" the installation is essentially round trip transportation for  the works in the installation, myself, and an assistant to set up and de-install. As visitors will be handling some of the works of art, no insurance is required.   I might also add that, as artists' studios can be found in all sorts of locations, I am open to an "alternate exhibition space" within college/university communities so long as  it is overseen by college/university gallery/museum staff on a day to day basis and so long as its formal opening is aligned with an official college/university gallery/museum event. (As I regard this installation as also being a work of art, I reserve all rights in accordance with the Visual Artists Rights Act of 1990.)  

Charles K. Steiner, Former Exec. Director, Wichita Art Museum (Wichita, KS), Former Assoc. Director Princeton University Art Museum (Princeton, NJ) and Former Assoc. Museum Educator (The Metropolitan Museum of Art). 
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more