Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Haze/Film on Glass

Posted 05-18-2017 11:48 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I work in Collection Maintenance at the Minneapolis Institute of Art, and I am responsible for cleaning the glass on the display cases.  Over time, we notice there is a "haze/film" that seems to form on the glass.  It covers the glass surface uniformly- inside and out, and seems to be from something in the air (possibly?).  It occurs all throughout the building.  Building HVAC filters are regularly changed.  I have not run any tests yet to see exactly how long it takes for it to form, but I would guess it becomes noticeable on areas of glass that go about 2-3 months between cleanings (these areas are mostly on tall cases way out of reach that require ladders for cleaning or inside cases that require deinstallation for cleaning).

We clean glass with a 50/50 solution of deionized water/Isopropyl alcohol.

Although it can be easily cleaned off, I am curious to know if any other museums experience this "haze/film" on glass cases, and see if there are any possible ways to prevent it from happening in the first place.

If anyone has thoughts on this, they would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Todd Holmberg

------------------------------
    Todd Holmberg
    Collection Maintenance Technician
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Haze/Film on Glass

Posted 05-13-2019 12:55 PM
    Hi Todd
    I have a similar problem in our museum, but we have something on our windows that simply will not come off. I have tried various glass cleaners, a vinegar/water solution, and an alcohol/water solution. Nothing seems to remove it. It almost feels like there is a super fine layer of something on the windows that won't come off. I have wondered if there is a possibility that the UV film on the cases has somehow been damaged and that is why the haze does not come off. I have also wondered if there is a mineral buildup from water or other cleaners. I am very frustrated because it looks like our exhibit glass is always dirty and it drives me crazy. 
    Please let me know if you have come up with any cleaning solutions that work.
    Thank you,
    Rachel Minor

Rachel Minor
    Supervisor/Curator
    Jesse Peter Museum - Santa Rosa Junior College
    Santa Rosa CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Haze/Film on Glass

Posted 05-14-2019 08:52 AM
    Dear colleagues:

The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) in Toronto Canada experienced a similar problem a few years ago with exhibit vitrines in the newly constructed Daphne Cockwell Gallery dedicated to First Peoples art & culture.

As a visitor, I complained about the serious problem.  I was informed by a higher-up at the ROM that the new glass reacted chemically with pollution in the air.  The ROM is in the middle of downtown at a high traffic intersection.

However, older vitrines in the facility didn't have this problem in my experience.  I am guessing it is the supplier's new high-end manufacturing process that caused the ROM problem.

At the 2019 national conference of the Canadian Museums Association.in Toronto, I spoke to a couple of ROM staff members who knew nothing of the cloudy vitrine problem.  Maybe the ROM has found & implemented a solution. 

So, I would recommend that you contact the ROM to determine: i) if your glass supplier is the same as that used by the ROM for the above gallery & ii) if so,. the ROM may have solved the chemistry problem & so might be able tell you how to reduce it.

Paul C.Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford, Ontario

• 4.  RE: Haze/Film on Glass

Posted 05-15-2019 11:33 AM
    Rachel, we had a somewhat similar problem -- concerning exhibit properties, not glazing -- in my former museum. I chose to view the situation as a conservation issue, since I was concerned the fading and color shift on the exhibit properties might have been an indicator of something that could damage collections. Our conservation consultant tracked down the print medium used on the properties, and she also examined silver and other  delicate surfaces in the galleries. We also, searched for materials that might cause chemical reactions, and discovered that our maintenance technician had used an "environmentally friendly" cleaner in our air handlers. The cleaner had been used according to the manufacturer's directions, but it proved to be harmful to our graphics, as evidenced by tests carried out by our conservator. Together, we developed new procedures for cleaning the air handlers, so that air would not circulate until they were cleaned, rinsed, and dried.

I realize this does not answer your question, but as is often the case, "It depends". The exact nature of your exhibit cases is the first question, followed by the composition of the chemicals used for cleaning, or perhaps other chemicals in the air, from cleaning materials, external pollution, off-gassing of materials in the galleries, and so forth. A complete, scientific examination of the situation may give you an answer, but I am not sure that anything else will.

Best of luck,
    Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

• 5.  RE: Haze/Film on Glass

Posted 05-16-2019 10:01 AM
    ​Thanks for the responses.  It's interesting to hear other institutions have similar issues. 
    I just wanted to add, in my experience this haze seems to affect the "window glass" type glass more than "plexiglass" type glass.  It is somewhat subtle, but more noticeable when viewed at sharper angles (when standing in front of a case, it's more noticeable looking up at the top part of the window vs the glass right in front of you).
    It seems like it needs to be cleaned off with a squeegee.  Microfiber cloths, rags, and towels don't really seem to actually remove the material from the glass surface.  The glass looks great after cleaning with a squeegee, but then about 2 months later the haze starts returning.
    Cleaning glass is part of the job, but it's frustrating to have to regularly clean glass that never gets touched by people, especially since some of these tall cases require special lifts and ladders to access.
    If anyone has had success stories on eliminating this haze, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Todd Holmberg
    Collection Maintenance Technician
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN