Open Forum

ย View Only
  • 1.  UV light monitors

Posted 01-12-2022 09:42 AM

Hello!

I'm looking to purchase a hand help UV light monitor.  It doesn't need to be fancy, but will need to give me the needed information regarding natural light coming in.  Can any one suggest a good one?

Thank you!

Paula Phipps

Manager of Collections and Interpretation

1600 Rockland Road

Wilmington, DE 19803

302-651-6966

paula.phipps@nemours.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-13-2022 07:49 AM
    Hello Paula,

If "fancy" = inexpensive, I fear you may be disappointed. UV measurement meters are typically pretty pricy. The hand held meter I have seen that seems most popular among curators and conservation is made by Elsec.

They make a couple of versions but my favorite measures UV, Visible Light, and humidity.

From the Elsec website:
    The 765 is the most popular, measuring Ultra Violet, Visible light, humidity and temperature.
    The 7650 measures just Ultraviolet and visible light.
    The 775 measures Ultraviolet, Visible light, temperature and thermal radiation for testing heat reflective coatings on windows.

Good luck!

- Steven

------------------------------
    Steven Rosen, FIALD
    President and Creative Dir.
    Available Light, Inc.
    Boston MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-13-2022 08:33 AM

Thanks so much!! I appreciate it your insight and I'll look into those products.

Paula Phipps

Manager of Collections and Interpretation

1600 Rockland Road

Wilmington, DE 19803

302-651-6966

paula.phipps@nemours.org

• 4.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-13-2022 11:09 AM
    Could you make do with just a sensitive light meter, measure the footcandles as opposed to the ultra violet light? Most works dictate (none in my 20+ years) how many lumens are allowed, UV specifications aren't usually included. Just a thought.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 5.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-14-2022 07:56 AM
    Matthew,

If you consult virtually any published work on the topic of light and artifact conservation you will see that rule #1 is: eliminate virtually ALL UV radiant energy from lighting sourcesโ€‹ directed at sensitive works of art. This mantra is so ingrained in the pedagogy that, perhaps, conservators have not voiced this strategy loud enough over the last few decades. The good news is that, with the LED revolution, most contemporary electric light sources produce only visible spectrum light with scant amounts of either UV or IR (infrared) energy. But if other electric light sources (i.e., fluorescent, incandescent, metal halide, etc.) or natural daylight is present in a delicate object presentation space, it is critical to ensure and manage for UV. Having a meter/monitor that measures the presence of UV is a darn good place to start.

May I direct your attention to IES RP-30 (Recommended Practice in Musuem and Gallery Lighting) for a very good summary of lighting knowledge. You may also want to watch a terrific webinar hosted by my colleague Scott Rosenfeld that is an excellent introduction to RP-30. 

It is critical to note that Scott articulates an important point: Visible Light (as opposed to UV and IR) is also responsible for fading and deterioration of organic objects. That is why curators and conservators continue to have endless debate about how much light exposure is too much. This is a philosophical question as, over time, ANY light exposure will lead to decay (which could be over decades or even centuries).

It is all important to note that other factors (i.e., humidity, dirt, heat, air quality, etc.) also contribute to object deterioration. Deploying the most advanced and sensitive lighting system is not not enough.

Perhaps I should start a Vanquish UV T-shirt line...

Steven Rosen, FIALD
    President and Creative Dir.
    Available Light, Inc.
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-14-2022 11:27 AM
    Steven, Thank you SO much for the thorough reply. this is great. I did know the bad guy was UV light, but assumed it was a fraction of the lumens of light coming in (LEd having far less of course). So in measuring lumens or foot-candles we had an expected level of UV light. I never thought to look into a UV light meter.

Is there a way to message this to make an industry standard?

I lke your t-shirt idea. Can I make that for you?

Cheers,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 7.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-13-2022 11:53 AM
    I use an app called lux. I think there are other apps that might do the trick as well. ๐Ÿ˜€

Jon Alesch
    MFA in Design - University of Wisconsins Stout

• 8.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-14-2022 07:59 AM
    I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I have researched and experimented with light meter phone apps, and found that they are remarkably inaccurate, at least for my purposes. The phone does measure light, of course, but only for the purposes of creating acceptable pictures. In my opinion, there is no substitute for a good light meter, and if you wish to measure UV energy, a certified UV meter.

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

• 9.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-14-2022 09:05 AM
    Oh...sorry, completely missed you were asking about UV light. 
    -jon

Jon Alesch
    MFA in Design - University of Wisconsins Stout

• 10.  RE: UV light monitors

Posted 01-14-2022 11:33 AM
    Good news, I found a UV light meter under $2,500! Check our Grainger:

UVA & UVC Meter w/Datalogging SD Card

• Item #6XAJ6
    • Mfr. Model #UV254SD
    • UNSPSC #41115308
    • Catalog Page #N/A

Matthew Isble
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA