Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Black Lives Matter and Museum Education- Program Models

Posted 09-08-2020 02:40 PM
    Hi All, 

I am a Museum Studies masters student at the University of San Francisco and am working on my final Capstone paper which is analyzing the ways art museum educators are responding to the Black Lives Matter Movement through programming. I am hoping to gather models of programs that are engaging students about BLM topics or have been influenced by strategies such as antiracist pedagogy, critical race theory, critical pedagogy, etc. If your museum, art or otherwise, has an applicable program I would love to hear about it in a short blurb. Also, if you know of other museums doing this work, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.  

Thank you so much for your help,

Bridget Girnus

------------------------------
    Bridget Girnus 
    MA Candidate | Museum Studies
    University of San Francisco
    btgirnus@dons.usfca.edu
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Black Lives Matter and Museum Education- Program Models

Posted 09-09-2020 08:31 AM
    Hello Bridget,
     I am the director of education at a public university in Miami. The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum is producing programs to engage students from all backgrounds to participate in poetry, spoken word event. We have several exhibitions that support conversations on DEAI.
    Checkout or webpage  frost.fiu.edu
    I work with many interns and graduate students so I am happy to help you in any way I can. 

Miriam Machado, M.A. 
    Director of Education
    Frost Art Museum 
    mmachado@fiu.edu

Miriam Machado
    CURATOR OF EDUCATION
    Frost Art Museum
    Florida International University

Miami FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Black Lives Matter and Museum Education- Program Models

Posted 09-09-2020 12:13 PM
    Edited by Annie Thomas Bubel 09-09-2020 12:13 PM
    Hi Bridget, 

What an interesting topic! I work for a historic property that shares a campus and legacy with a healthcare system- Nemours Estate and Nemours Children's Health System. Right now, I'm working on a committee with administrators and healthcare providers that is led by our Office of Health Equity & Inclusion. We are investigating ways we can host a virtual art exhibit, calling for submissions by children and young adults that address racism and antiracism. Although we have not finalized all of the details yet, I'd be happy to share more with you if you like. Feel free to send me an email!

Annie
    annie.thomas-bubel@nemours.org
    Annie Thomas Bubel
    Community Education & Museum Services Coordinator
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 4.  RE: Black Lives Matter and Museum Education- Program Models

Posted 09-09-2020 12:25 PM
    This is the current programming at the Oregon Jewish Museum and Center for Holocaust Education: https://www.ojmche.org/events/discrimination-and-resistance-an-oregon-primer/.  This exhibit just finished although it was super pertinent to current events: https://www.ojmche.org/events/southern-rites-2/. Good luck.

Lily Wagner
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Black Lives Matter and Museum Education- Program Models

Posted 09-10-2020 03:46 PM

Hello Bridget! 

Sounds amazing! While I was the Senior Educator at the San Diego Museum of Man (now Museum of Us) I developed, facilitated, and taught all programs connected to the RACE: Are We So Different exhibition from 2016 to Spring 2020. Once the museum opens back up, it will continue programming. If you would like to talk further about this, let me know. It is pretty detailed and for grades 5th through adult ages. In the future, they will have new programs and are in the process of higher a new person. I ended up getting a job else where because of COVID furloughs. Below is a summary.

I gathered various items, photos, and objects throughout history connected to the history of race, racism, identity, and activism. Guests of all ages engaged with the objects and photos to have a note tangible and activity experience. Some of the items are a BLM shirt, a green book, AIM patch, Huelga pin, Kapernick Jersey, Eugenics book, census reports from 1860 (last taken before emancipation), white supremacy signs that were actually left in our exhibit by someone trying to recruit (terrible), and numerous others that balance examples of racism and fighting against oppression. All objects are real or true to form. A very specific program was part of a partnership the museum has with something called School In The Park which is funded by Price Philanthropy. I developed and taught week long curricula for 6-8th grade students from Wilson Middle School. 6th grade touches on how and why race was created, how it impacts us, and how to be an upstander (active alley) and activist. The past three years, their final project was to create a poster representing an activist they learned about (for example Alicia Garza and BLM) or someone they feel is an upstander/change maker/ or activist. They then presented their project to museum guests. 7th and 8th grade focused on identity (racial, ethnic, and LGBTQA+), representation and misrepresentation, decolonization, and how to think critically about what is being portrayed (for example, students go through one of the museum's older exhibits about the Maya and think about if it is accurate or not, who is it representing/misrepresenting, why they think it is setup that way, what are perspectives that people might leave with, and who should the museum being taking with to change it, among other things). Students then choose what exhibit or identities they want to present on (Race, LGBTQAI+, Kumeyaay and Balboa Park). 

Even though the grades have slightly different topics, all grades learn and engage with BLM. Example of activism? Identity formation and embracing? History of racism and oppression? So on and so forth. 

Sorry I could go on and on! I am extremely proud of those programs and the students for their dedication, vulnerability, and work they put in to their projects. 

All the best! 

Sydney Garcia
    Post Graduate Research Association - Forensic Anthropologist -
    San Diego CA

• 6.  RE: Black Lives Matter and Museum Education- Program Models

Posted 09-11-2020 05:20 PM
    Lady Bridget, thank you for willing to explore and obtain knowledge to assist you with growth and development with the intent to complete your final Capstone paper. 

At the American Jazz Museum in Kansas City for 6 years as the Tour Docent, Education Assistant, Community Engagement, Public Program Coordinator  and now Director of Visitors Experience, I assisted 170,000+  young and wise audience with exploring art, culture, history and jazz within the museum and communities. I hosted year around Afro-American film series, authors, artists and programs to assist the community and others with obtaining knowledge about my ancestors in american. 

As a Afro-American woman within a educational and musical museum, I would dress 1950's attire to assist me with educating, engaging and empowering all guest the history and journey of  Afro-American Jazz Musicians.  I share and explain why people of colored were separated due to the color of his or her skin tone in the music business. 

Summer of 2016, I implemented and managed a mural to engage 750 people with connecting and sharing the history about Afro-Americans journey in american.
    Titled: "Harmony on the Vine'  sub title "Spill Paint not Blood"   https://americanjazzmuseum.org/engage/community

https://americanjazzmuseum.org/events?tid=29

Congratulations, exploring and willing to obtain knowledge about Afro-Americans journey in america within today's social society. 

If you have any questions please reconnect with me soon.  Friday, September 25th is my last day within the workplace.

Karen E. Griffin

Director of Visitor Expericence

Phone: (816)474-0320 | Email: kgriffin@kcjazz.org

Where it lives! | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Karen Griffin
    Director of Community Engagement and Public Programs
    American Jazz Museum
    Kansas City MO