Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  'Batch' sizing - orientation, school trips, etc.

Posted 02-10-2020 03:19 PM
    Hi there! 

We are currently inquiring about the optimal group sizes for museum experience(s).

The Edelman Fossil Park is a one-of-a-kind former marl mine in South Jersey where guests can come and dig for 65 million year old fossils that they get to keep. We are nearing the end of schematic design for our $67 million Fossil Park and Museum, anticipated open Spring 2023. The museum will overlook the quarry and tell the remarkable story of the fossils that have been excavated right there at the site and along the east coast. 

We are currently discussing orientation experiences and timing. We will need one for the museum and one for the quarry/digging experiences. 

What group size does your museum host for a school trip? Museum tour? Workshop? 

Any and all input is appreciated! 

Thanks!
    Alison 

PS - Currently we can hold ~250 people in the quarry at a time and host groups of all sizes.

------------------------------
    Alison Moyer, PhD
    Education Coordinator
    Jean & Ric Edelman Fossil Park
    Glassboro NJ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 'Batch' sizing - orientation, school trips, etc.

Posted 02-11-2020 08:06 AM
    First let me say your park/museum sounds awesome and 10-year-old me really wants to visit now.

For guided tours we do very small groups (5-10 children per 1 docent) and can accommodate up to 100 children per hour-long tour (so for 100 children we would need 10-13 docents). That is more of limit on available volunteers than anything else. 

Our workshop space can accommodate 30 children (workshops also an hour) and have 2 museum educators facilitating. 

For self-guided trips we don't have "limits" (our museum is spacious and can accommodate thousands of visitors in one day) but the larger the group, the more likely we are to run into hiccups (certain areas are more attractive to youth visitors and can get quite crowded). I would say it is pretty easy to orient and welcome about 50 children at once. More than that and it helps to have something like an auditorium where you can focus their attention on a presentation. We really try to gather school groups together right before they start a self-guided visit and give them the basic rules, some suggestions for enjoying our galleries, and give the chaperones lanyards so we can identify them in a pinch. 

Hope that helps - 
    Amanda

Amanda Kepner
    Senior Manager for Institutional Processes
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 'Batch' sizing - orientation, school trips, etc.

Posted 02-12-2020 12:28 PM
    I agree your museum experience sounds awesome!  Here at the JSMA, we do K-12 tours of no more than 72 students in a 2 hour period, splitting the groups into 2 and taking no more than 36 students into the galleries for up to 1 hour (the other students do art in the studio.  Our gallery tours are split so that there are no more than 6 students ( 8 students for grades 8-12) per Exhibition Interpreter (docent).  This allows for less noise in the galleries and more focus/communication between the student and docent. Our tours are more interpretive and use a lot of VTS so we want to do what we can to encourage conversation.

I hope that helps! 

Sherri Jones
    Assistant Administrator of Education
    Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

1430 Johnson Lane

Eugene, OR 97403

jsmatour@uoregon.edu

sdjones@uoregon.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

541-346-0910

Currently On View
    Hours:  JSMA is open to the public Wednesday, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Thursday – Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. 
    Members make it happen. Join today!
    Subscribe to our Enews
    We're Social: Facebook          Twitter          Instagram          YouTube 
    For more information and schedule of events, visit our website at jsma.uoregon.edu