Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Reofect “Painting”

Posted 03-02-2021 08:31 PM
    During an appraisal I came across a work that the owners were convinced was a painting. I was able to ascertain from a label snippet that it was a Reofect product, which seems to be a early-mid 20th century means of reproduction. While a search yielded results regarding the company, I was unable to find a description of the actual process. The creator applied for but did not patent the technology, so that’s a dead end. I’ve come across these before in various collections, and would love to know what Reofect really is.

Thank you in advance.

Alexa D. Potter
    Independent Curator and Appraiser
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Reofect "Painting"

Posted 03-03-2021 05:33 PM
    I can't be certain about Reofect, since I cannot track down the name in any of my references. I have messages out to a couple of conservators, who may have encountered this process before. My somewhat-educated guess is that the image was created using a photographic process that is similar to autochrome -- I won't go into that in detail, but it created a color image by means of black-and-white chemistry and three different colors of minute potato starch granules. That's worth exploring, if you're interested. 

I am "dyeing" (excuse the pun) to find out more about Reofect, and I will pass along anything I find, unless a kindly expert posts something first.

Best,

Bruce

------------------------------
    Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Reofect "Painting"

Posted 03-03-2021 07:20 PM

Bruce,

Thank you. Even under a loupe I couldn't identify what I was seeing, so I would love more information if you get any responses.

You can respond to me directly at alexadpotter@gmail.com

Alexa 

Alexa Potter
    Curator and Appraiser
    Washington DC