Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 05-21-2021 12:08 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Gang,

Has anyone done or seen research on the best practice for helping visitors understand that the work isn't for touching (in art museums)? Opinions abound in our museum and in the world at large. I'm looking for research or something evidence based to inform how we proceed.

Here's where we've been, where we are now, and are a bit unsure of where to go next. We used to have a half page label called "A Touchey Subject" with a solid paragraph underneath explaining why touching isn't good for the work. We had maybe 1 per gallery. Then we started adding a 3" tall by label width wide label above the object label with the words "Do Not Touch" with the universal (arguably perhaps, but fine none the less) symbol of a finger with a red circle and slash across the finger. The problem with this is by having these over the more touchable works it leaves visitors thinking they could touch the other works, just not these specially marked ones.

Currently we put this universal symbol on the bottom right corner of each label in a gallery (we haven't finished transitioning the whole museum yet), but didn't use red since that would be far too loud. It's a nice grey, white, or black or combination there of depending on the label color. Some are now arguing that we were better off before doing the occasional Do Not Touch above some of the labels. I maintain that visitors need many impressions of this message to get the idea.
    Help?

Thanks,
    Matt

------------------------------
    Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 05-21-2021 01:59 PM

We've done a lot of work on this, including tracking which objects are most frequently touched and correlating that with other factors (e.g., big event? Lots of children? Decorative arts? "no-touching" label present?). It seems like design that prevents or deters visitors from touching objects is the only thing that works reliably. We saw essentially no difference in how frequently objects were touched, whether or not they had signs. We also tried different kinds of signs: just words, words and symbols, just symbols. Again, essentially no difference. Placing an object on a riser, however, farther away from investigating hands, was more effective. Installing things higher up, under bonnets (obviously), or behind guards or ribbons was also helpful.

Hillary Brown

Director of Communications

Georgia Museum of Art

University of Georgia

she/her

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 05-21-2021 09:02 PM
    Hi,
    Have you thought of doing the opposite?  You could have a general entrance sign saying not to touch the works unless there is a label saying that it's allowed.  This might allow you to manage less signs;  it might also be less negative.
    Another thing you could do is introduce a bit of humour.  In a music store in my city, because of the pandemic and to reduce everybody touching the stuff for sale, they put colourful pictures of a jumping MC Hammer with "U Can't Touch This" in a fun way in strategic places.
    Good luck...

--

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. non fiable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. unreliable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

• 4.  RE: How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 05-24-2021 12:12 PM
    Thanks Jean-Luc. A good suggestion, already employed. It's nested in a getting started area which also includes things like, "how to read our labels", no food, and things like that. MC Hammer is a solid suggestion. I doubt it would pass the design test (that I'm not in charge of), the over all aesthetic doesn't fit with The Hammer.

Thanks JL
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 5.  RE: How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 05-25-2021 06:39 AM
    Really curious how people handle this.
    Once spotted a visitor SITTING  on a large stone artifact while their friend held the "do not touch" sign.  When the sitter got up, the friend replaced the sign.I was so stunned that I literally froze in my tracks and sort of ignored them until they left the gallery.  I checked and sure enough it was the "do not touch" sign that was temporarily removed.

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar Records
    Penn Museum

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar, Records
    Penn Museum - University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 05-25-2021 12:15 PM
    Hi Chrisso, 
    Yeah I like to say that I'm surprised that I'm still surprised at what people will do. You just can't wrap your head around every possibility. That's why I like Do Not Touch symbols on every label. Maybe we'll reach 10% more folks. Those who will pick up the DNT sign will just alway be the ones who will touch. Unless you have a guard RIGHT there, there's no stoping them.
    Thank you for your 2¢.
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 7.  RE: How to Do: Do Not Touch Labels?

Posted 06-08-2021 01:43 PM
    We often employ a strategy where "Do not touch anything unless specified" is stated at the entrance of the gallery and if something is allowed to touch, then there is a specific sign about it. Overall it seems that saying to visitors what they can do is better for their overall experience than making a lot of prohibiting signs. Besides that, placing objects out of reach works very well :)

Yulia Semenova
    Graphic Designer
    Aldrich/Pears Associates Ltd
    Vancouver BC