Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Conceptional Planning Architect

Posted 08-20-2018 10:22 AM

The small archaeological museum at which I volunteer was established in the 1960s and became a National Historic Landmark in 1990.  Since opening, only minor changes have been made and the building and exhibits are in need of a total modernization.  As president of the Friends group for this facility I have volunteered to find an architectural firm which specializes in cultural museum conceptual plans, and hopefully more.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Kathryn Askins, PhD

President

Friends of the Crystal River State Parks

Crystal River, FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Conceptional Planning Architect

Posted 08-21-2018 08:13 AM
    I recommend the Pittsburgh based firm Springboard Design. Paul Rosenblatt is the principal.  http://www.springboarddesign.net/

------------------------------
    Chris Siefert, Deputy Director
    Parrish Art Museum
    Water Mill NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Conceptional Planning Architect

Posted 08-21-2018 10:39 AM
    I would encourage you to get in touch with a museum interpretive planner. They could help you craft your messages and storylines free from the confinement of the built structure. This would in turn give the architect a great framework on which to arrange and proportion the building spaces to match your interpretive goals.

Ian Swope
    Exhibit Designer
    Winchester MA

• 4.  RE: Conceptional Planning Architect

Posted 08-29-2018 08:22 AM
    Many thanks for the recommendations. For those who have been through the process, you understand the challenges. 

• 5.  RE: Conceptional Planning Architect

Posted 08-21-2018 10:40 AM
    Kathryn - I hear good things about Springboard Design (recommended by long-time colleague and exhibit designer Brendan Wiant of Wiant Design Works). Their website: Springboard Design | Innovative solutions to complex problems, beautiful solutions to simple ones
    Springboarddesign remove preview
    Springboard Design | Innovative solutions to complex problems, beautiful solutions to simple ones
    "Over the years, we have had the pleasure to work with Springboard Design on several projects, from two multi-million dollar renovation and reuse projects, to multiple other smaller modification and addition projects. We are currently working with Springboard on a large deck addition to our Swissvale facility.
    View this on Springboarddesign >

Judy Brenneman
    Owner
    Fort Collins CO
    judyb@greenfire-creative.com

• 6.  RE: Conceptional Planning Architect

Posted 08-25-2018 11:43 AM
    Thank you for the responses.  I appreciate your input.