Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Retroactive Numbering

Posted 01-18-2022 02:49 PM

Hi all,

Learning a lot from this forum, thank you!

I'm looking to learn from folks who have experience with retroactive numbering / accessioning. 

I'm a former museum registrar and now a curator, sited within a very large art collection housed at a major city library. We oversee prints, drawings, photographs, paintings, sculpture. Basically we're a  museum within a public library system. My colleagues within the special collections department include rare books, maps and archives.  Hoping to streamline our processes and documentation methods, in 2020, we created an accession numbering system (tripartite) for all new acquisitions into special collections across curatorial departments.

The arts department, that I oversee, is about to create our first (ever) collection management database.  We have no accession numbers at the item or collection level for anything prior to 2020. No call numbers either. Occasionally we'll find a tripartite number on an object from long ago, but that is very rare. As we head into database work, I'd like to learn from others how they managed thousands (upon thousands) of items, acquired across decades, unnumbered.  Do we simply bulk assign upon migration of items into the new database as if a new collection? I'm used to working in very old collections with a variety of numbers, and adapting as necessary the few outliers, or with tidy modern & contemporary collections. 

I might be overthinking this, so I turn to this group for wisdom and experience.

Many thanks in advance,

Kristin Parker
    Lead Curator of the Arts
    Boston Public Library 
    kparker@bpl.org

------------------------------
    Kristin Parker
    Lead Curator of the Arts
    Boston Public Library
    Boston MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Retroactive Numbering

Posted 01-19-2022 02:30 PM
    The historic house I'm currently at has/had boxes & piles of documents, both previously catalogued and not.  My various predecessors utilized various numbering schemes.  The current director & I agreed on a basic tripartite-ish numbering system of Year of Acquisition.Third Item on List.4th Sub-Item. = 2009.3.4

A lot of the items I've been given were previously catalogued and have accession numbers on them.  I'm re-cataloging them in our new system, and indicating the old numbers and linking new catalog entry to old catalog entry.
    The middle block of numbers is somewhat arbitrary.   If I have a pile of 17 folders to catalog, the top folder is XXXX.1.xx.
    If you don't know the year your institution first acquired an object, make the first block of numbers 2022, and include a note explaining why.

I say, work out a rough division of objects, bulk assign numbers accordingly, then hire a (paid) intern to further refine your system somewhere down the line.

Matthew Perelli
    King Manor Museum
    Jamaica NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Retroactive Numbering

Posted 01-20-2022 09:43 AM
    A museum I used to work at performed a full inventory to solidify a chaotic collection where accession paperwork was vague or missing.  Everything present that didn't already have a true tripartate number got 0895.xx.xxxx(+abc etc as needed) (because the inventory was in 1985, but they couldn't use 1985 as it would overlap with actual accessions from that year). 

It was a tidy solution, and works to this day, as we slowly found actual accession leads on each, they got a real number, (but often not re-marked with the new number, depending on material, which was occasionally a pain).  But the 0985 header on its tripartate number was an instant heads-up that it was collected between 1890-1985, and was part of the original collection, and also that there is probably additional information, such as an old 3-letter code or a newly-found number, say 1912.03.0002, attached to the computer record. 

Just document everything, getting a system in place in the first place is more important than it being 100% true forever.  Things can be annotated and changed, but it is better than things being lost and dissociated.   So this year, you could easily use 0021, as long as you retain those leading zeroes.

Alena Renner
    Collections Manager
    American Civil War Museum
    Richmond VA

• 4.  RE: Retroactive Numbering

Posted 01-20-2022 11:32 AM
    Just a reminder that Managing Previously Unmanaged Collections by Angela Kipp is a terrific guide and source of reassurance in tackling these kinds of projects.   Particularly of use are her "logical exits" along the way - since we are almost always interrupted by daily life in the midst of this work.

The book is available from Amazon (and elsewhere) and Angela is starting a four-week workshop at the end of the month.

--
    Janice Klein
    EightSixSix Consulting
    SMAC-AAM Board Member

• 5.  RE: Retroactive Numbering

Posted 01-20-2022 12:33 PM
    Hello, Matthew,

It's OK to work out your organization's own protocols, and you should go with whatever is logical for your own organization.   However, using a standard system in a standard way will create least confusion in the long term.  

There are misunderstandings about what tripartite numbering means and how it is applied in collections.  Based on the system as applied in most museums, here are my comments:

1) As it is normally applied, the "middle block" of numbers in a tripartite scheme is important information and not at all arbitrary.  This number represents the accession transaction, a group of items that were acquired and registered, from the same source and (generally) at the same time.        

2)  While I think it's great for single objects, and with associating objects in parts and sets, tripartite may not be the system you want to use for folders of your archival materials, photo collections, etc.   The exception would be if the physical folders themselves each represent a separate accession.   Look into archival cataloging practice for the best way to manage such material.  A museum does not need to have the same numbering scheme for archival material as for objects, and many CM systems easily handle both.

3)  I recommend against changing historic numbers, previously assigned by your organization, simply to comply with a new numbering scheme.  The exception is in the case of duplicate numbers.   You will save headaches down the line with future staff puzzling out different number systems.  And physically renumbering objects is labor-intensive and adds to unnecessary handling.   Again, your CM system should be able to handle multiple numbering schemes.

4)  In the case in which an object, or group of objects, has no prior number; you don't know when or where the museum acquired the object (or object was "found in collection") -- or you don't have records of when, or if, it was ever formally accessioned -- I would generally not use the current calendar year you are recataloging it as the first component of a tripartite number.

For such objects, many institutions use a prefix that cannot be confused with a calendar date, such as "1000".  For example 1000.1.1-3, meaning:  1) an old acquisition for an unknown year, 2) the first known acquisition from a particular donor 3) a group of three objects.    

This number can be thought of as temporary, and may eventually change, should documentation turn up, at which time it can be formally accessioned.   Or it can live long-term with this number, should its source remain a mystery.   At least you have a functional number for your database the item is trackable, and the number itself is a flag that there are questions about its history or status.   

5) Don't let old cataloguing issues drag down your current accessioning; use .  Save your 2022 numbers for objects which are fully documented and fully accessioned in 2022 (even if they were acquired earlier).   Keep that process current and don't let new accessions backlog.     Keep any back-numbering a separate project.

Good luck.  

--

Batja Bell
    (she/her)
    registration services
    for art, artifacts & exhibitions
    batja.bell@gmail.com
    (office) 973-761-4090
    (mobile/text) 862-205-7029

• 6.  RE: Retroactive Numbering

Posted 01-25-2022 02:05 PM
    Edited by Kristin Parker 01-25-2022 02:11 PM
    Thank you to all for taking the time to reply!

Kristin Parker
    Lead Curator of the Arts
    Boston Public Library
    Boston MA