Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vinyl Lettering

Posted 01-07-2022 06:18 PM

We love using vinyl lettering but find it is a pain to remove.  There are many videos on youtube about using a hairdryer, etc., but we still have issues.

Is there a type of vinyl you use and a process to remove it that you have found to work better?
    Thank you

David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vinyl Lettering

Posted 01-10-2022 07:51 AM
    I feel your pain, David. Here is a link to a thread on the subject, it might have some tips for you. We use Oracal 631-sometimes it peels right off by hand and sometimes it takes the paint off no matter what we do. If you come up with a great solution please let me know! https://community.aam-us.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=31&MessageKey=9aa113a1-7317-49a8-ac3d-91eae5063ce9&CommunityKey=d34b2dfb-4151-4629-a59a-553d0ae428d9&tab=digestviewer

Mary Delaney
    Marketing Director
    Museum of Russian Icons
    Clinton MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vinyl Lettering

Posted 01-10-2022 02:22 PM
    Indeed Mary, that was a meaty exchange there. I'll add that I saw someone use duct tape to rip off much of the vinyl. Give that a try. I haven't tried it yet myself. We just pick letter by letter.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org

• 4.  RE: Vinyl Lettering

Posted 01-11-2022 01:58 PM
    Thank you for sending the link! I guess we all have the same issue.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 5.  RE: Vinyl Lettering

Posted 01-10-2022 03:12 PM

Hi David,

Check out Sticker Mule (stickermule.com).  I used this for a temporary exhibit recently and loved it. The material is similar to a window cling, except it sticks on painted walls, acrylic, etc. You can use this for anything that can be printed in just about any size.  I don't know how well it would work for a long-term exhibit, but we just took ours down after 2 years.  We used it for large lettering, object labels, graphics, and a complete wall covering. 

Good luck!

Carmen Langel

University of Iowa

• 6.  RE: Vinyl Lettering

Posted 01-11-2022 01:58 PM
    I use Sticker Mule for other things - I will try that

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA