Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibit insurance for non-museum venue

Posted 11-13-2014 07:25 AM
    I am curating a touring exhibit of rather precious objects.  While I have travelled many exhibits, these were either low-security or were placed in a museum that insured them.  This exhibit--of intricate Cherokee stone carvings--is going to an Arts Council venue.  While each piece will be under a vitrine, the collector (and I) are not comfortable with the lack of insurance. Our local insurance agents have no experience with any policies like this.  
    Anna

-------------------------------------------
    Anna Fariello
    Curatorial InSight
    Cullowhee NC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibit insurance for non-museum venue

Posted 11-14-2014 11:19 AM
    Hi Anna,

We have a gallery on our campus that does not insure exhibits. Usually our exhibits come from student work, the University archives or community groups, but I had one artist insure her work through her own insurance carrier to the value of her sculptures for our gallery display and we had to use a moving company that carried the insurance requirements of the University. 

The University was named the "Certificate Holder" and the type of insurance was General Liability, Fine Arts Coverage. The venue and the value of the object may help you determine the policy limits. The insurance was valid during the run of the exhibit. 

It was pretty complicated to navigate and I needed help from the University counsel and the insurance office. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

-Kelly
    --
    Kelly Reiss
    Feet First Exhibition and Archives Coordinator
    Division of Institutional Advancement, Office of Alumni Relations
    Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
    3333 Green Bay Road
    North Chicago, IL 60064
    Office: 847-578-8417
    Fax: 847-578-8643              
    Email: kelly.reiss@rosalindfranklin.edu

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibit insurance for non-museum venue

Posted 11-14-2014 03:08 PM
    We are a state park museum - and the state is self-insured. To get around that when we borrowed exhibits or items for temporary display from other museums, our friends group paid for the insurance.

Does the Arts Council have insurance for staff liability? If they really want it, they should be able to find or rise the money for a temporary insurance policy. It isn't very expensive. If they are ambivalent, but you really want to display the artifacts, then you're probably going to have to obtain the coverage. There are plenty of insurance companies that handle this type of insurance. The AAM business directory has companies listed if I remember correctly. (And it has been a number of years since we need insurance for a temporary exhibit...)

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN