Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-28-2016 09:38 AM

I manage a docent corps of about 30 - 40 docents and was thinking about utilizing an online sign up forum such as signupgenius, etc. for docents to use to sign themselves up for weekly tours. Have any of you used this kind of sign up before, what service have you used and what have been the pros and cons?

Thank you!

Mary  Morris 

------------------------------
    Mary Morris
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-29-2016 07:48 AM

I've used Volgistics, both as a volunteer and as a staff person. It seems fairly intuitive and user friendly. It will track hours, has a calendar with shifts, a place to sign up for new shifts, etc. Here's a link with more info: https://www.volgistics.com

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-29-2016 09:12 AM

At Vizcaya Museum and Gardens we also use Volgistics and it works quite well. Guides are able to sign up for tours. You can limit when Guides can remove themselves from tours. For example, Guides cannot remove themselves from an assigned tour 2 weeks or less out from the scheduled program. In such cases they must contact the museum and this avoids most last minute cancellations. As stated by Amber the software also tracks hours and keeps other data. The software is cloud based and very user friendly. It is fee based though.

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 4.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-29-2016 10:02 AM

We use Volgistics. It certainly has its pros and cons, but most of the cons are on my end. Volunteers love the convenience of seeing what is available and signing up to volunteer from their phones and ipads. They can keep their timesheets up to date as well as read news from the volunteer program on the Home Page, which I update constantly. We have about 145 volunteers of which about 60 are docents. Only one person does not use the system, all others are on board and love the ease of use. 

It is not perfect and can be a bit clunky, but their help line is very responsive and on-line tutorials are good. Pricing is scaled by number of volunteers and number of administrators. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to help you. 

Nancy Schomburg
    Manager, Volunteer Services
    Grounds for Sculpture
    Hamilton NJ

• 5.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-29-2016 10:25 AM

Have you asked your docents? Not everyone (i.e., an older volunteer) is comfortable with the intricacies  21st century technology.

We use multiple methods of getting our volunteers to come when we need them - a newsletter, email, and old-fashioned phone calls. Our park manager has discussed moving everything to an on-line platform, including a way for volunteers to log their hours, because some of our infrequent volunteers have difficulty remembering to log them. I'm not sure all of our long-time volunteers will do that. Newer ones, it shouldn't be a problem.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 6.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-30-2016 09:02 AM
    Edited by John Daab 11-30-2016 10:14 AM

Princeton University Art Museum requires that their 100 plus docents (50-90 years) have an email address and are able to engage in computer processes including sign ups for tours, organizing tours for more than one docent, and communicating with other docents, staff, and tour subjects. Furthermore, docents do not choose tours but provide days of the week they are available and not available allowing the docent manager to assign tours.

Have you asked your docents? Not everyone (i.e., an older volunteer) is comfortable with the intricacies  21st century technology.

We use multiple methods of getting our volunteers to come when we need them - a newsletter, email, and old-fashioned phone calls. Our park manager has discussed moving everything to an on-line platform, including a way for volunteers to log their hours, because some of our infrequent volunteers have difficulty remembering to log them. I'm not sure all of our long-time volunteers will do that. Newer ones, it shouldn't be a problem.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 7.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-29-2016 05:06 PM

At the Rosenbach we use SignUp.com for about 40 volunteers (our volunteers give tours of the Rosenbach brothers' home and growing collections). SignUp is free and works nicely, giving me the opportunity to write a monthly collections-highlight and welcome message, and allowing our guides to add, change, and swap shifts. I've had one guide refuse to use it on the grounds that our society is moving too much in the direction of impersonal robo-interactions, but aside from this solitary act of principled defiance, our volunteers have taken to it with enthusiasm.

Andrew White
    Volunteer Coordinator
    Rosenbach Museum & Library
    Philadelphia PA

• 8.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-30-2016 11:32 AM

We use Volgistics for our everyday volunteers.  However, for a few special events we use VolunteerSignup - Online volunteer signup sheets.  There was a hard learning curve for Volgistics and I'm still working with some of our volunteers on it a year later.  If you have volunteers who are not tech savvy, I highly recommend something like Signup or VolunteerSignup.  You a free service with the flexibility to tailor your information and your volunteers have a simple process to sign up for shifts.  

Tamra Birchfield
    Manager, Volunteer and Internship Program
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 9.  RE: Online Sign up for docent led tours

Posted 11-30-2016 11:49 AM

I've found that volunteers of all ages and experience adapt well to online system that log their hours and show their schedules.  Signing up for tours can be a little more challenging for some people.

Another fee-based program that works well is Volunteer Impact.  This is a full-fledged volunteer management software package, so it might be more than you're looking for.  The data is stored in the cloud; therefore, volunteers may log into the system from anywhere (it works with mobile devices as well as computers).  As with most software, there's a bit of a learning curve (more on the back-end than for the volunteer).  The fees are based on the number of volunteers in your organization.

Rebecca Martin
    Director of Education and Guest Experiences
    Gunston Hall
    Mason Neck VA