Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LED light

Posted 10-28-2016 10:48 AM
    Hello All,

I'm getting ready to purchase LED fixtures for our galleries. They're very bright! I know LED light is devoid of UV spectrum, but I've also been told that I don't have to worry about the intensity, but I don't believe it. Can anyone substantiate this?

Best,

Jeffrey Carr, M.F.A.
    Exhibitions and Collections Manager
    Kennedy Museum of Art
    Ohio University
    V740-593-9832
    F740-593-1305
    carrj1@ohio.edu

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: LED light

Posted 10-31-2016 09:59 AM

As with all technology, we need to be vigilant how it effects our collections.  I purchase dimmable LED bulbs so that you are able to adjust the intensity. Light is just that and over time I believe it will harm works. It is said LED’s do not carry the harmful UV ray, however I would err on the side of caution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2258344/Scientists-discover-LED-lights-damaging-valuable-masterpieces-artists-including-Van-Gogh-C-zanne.html

------------------------------
    Todd J Hall
    Head Preparator
    Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art at Auburn University
    Auburn AL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: LED light

Posted 10-31-2016 02:24 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

You ask good questions! While it is true that radiant energy just beyond the visual spectrum (that would be UV & IR) are particularly damaging to organic objects, it is also true that ANY radiant energy poses threats of fading and damage. That is why there are recommended exposure levels for various kinds of objects. But keep in mind that any exposure leads to degradation, these lighting recommendations are best practice for finding a balance between complete darkness (perfect!) and the minimum level required for the public to see, understand, and enjoy a delicate object. As my friend Scott Rosenfeld (Lighting Designer for the American Museum of Art in DC) says, "I destroy artwork for a living." Although he works quite hard to find that delicate balance!

The soon to be released Recommended Practice (RP-30) on Museum and Gallery Lighting authored by the IES (Illuminating Engineering Society) includes the following recommendations:

Highly susceptible materials (i.e. textiles, fabric, fur, water colors, etc.) should be subjected to no more than 5 footcandles (about 50 lux) and no more than 5,000 footcandle hours/year (the amount of exposure x the number of exposure hours / year)

Moderately susceptible materials (i.e. dyes, oil paintings, wood, leather, etc.) should be subjected to no more than 20 footcandles (about 200 lux) and no more than 48,000 footcandle hours/year.

Resilient materials (i.e. stone, metal, glass, etc.) should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Keep in mind that a pistol may have both wood and leather components!

I have worked with plenty of conservators and curators for whom 50 lux was way too high a light level for their particularly sensitive or valuable objects. I find it is always best practice to work with and not against these folks.

Hope this is helpful,

Steven

Steven Rosen
    President
    Available Light, Inc.
    Salem MA

• 4.  RE: LED light

Posted 10-31-2016 04:04 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

Steven has explained the lighting topic clearly and succinctly, and I can only emphasize that adjusting visible light as he suggests is essential to the proper care of collections items. In addition to using dimmers (for which you must procure "dimmable" LED lights, and use the correct dimmer), you can reduce visible light easily, using filters or screens. The latter is inexpensive and simple, but I won't explain the whole process unless requested. The tool you must have is a foot-candle meter, which can be found for about $100; I think the economical models are fine for your purposes.

For further information, there are a number of conservation organization that might prove useful. For a start, you might like to look at: https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/about/about-ipi

Best,

Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus
    Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI