Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 10-27-2016 01:18 PM

Hello All,

As a creator of software I have a question for the group.

Our content will be part of the first VIVELAND virtual reality theme park opening October 29.

As consumers are exposed to VR will they begin to expect it in the museum environment as well?  Is there a place for such in museums and science centres?

WodK44CMTrKUbV717Zuk_vive_arcade.jpg

------------------------------
    Mike Sorrenti
    Aurora ON
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 10-28-2016 12:07 PM

Greetings Mike,

And, best of luck to you and VIVELAND.

I am a big fan of 3D / VR / AR tech and have been a proponent of such experiences since red/blue glasses were the best viewing technology.

As an exhibit designer I have been faced with one big problem. as the technology gets "better" it also seem to get more isolating. One of the key functions, IMHO, of an informal educational experience, is the social connection, bringing people together across generations, across cultural lines, etc. Almost all of the VR experiences I have seen require a single user blinded from the outside world and yet exposed to it at the same time. One person is having an isolated personal experience while the friends, family and strangers watch them engage is some odd hallucinogenic dance.  I have real trouble with this scenario. 

There are some new experiences that take advantage of this set-up. "keep talking and nobody explodes" is the one title where the user acts as a guide for the rest of the un-seeing group. The group has to work together to achieve a common goal.  If museums can create content where the experience is shared, among "seeing" and "non seeing" participants then, I think there is some real opportunities.

Bart

Bart Hays
    Senior Exhibition Designer
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Monterey CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 10-28-2016 04:11 PM

I'm as fallible as anyone, but I'm convinced VR & AR will have a significant impact on museums.  I'm excited about applying it to museums, so it may happen slower than I expect, but I'm convinced it will happen.  Good luck with VIVELAND.  CK

Chuck Kelly
    Assistant Director
    Sugar Land Heritage Foundation
    Sugar Land TX

• 4.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 10-31-2016 10:45 AM
    I'm working with a team to create a museum for scales, weights and measures – considering an online museum, traveling exhibits, and physical space. We've had discussions including 3D presentations for select topics.  The key - whether it's VR, 3D, video or any other type of technology – is to start with the story you're trying to tell and then select the best approach to telling it.  If you start with the technology and then go looking for the story, it will be a hollow disaster.  So you must start with the story.  Is VR coming to a museum near you? Sure!

Greg Moss
    International Society of Antique Scale Collectors

Virus-free. www.avast.com

• 5.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 10-31-2016 11:11 AM

I am a big Techie fan, I do agree about the current line of googles that isolate the user it would be sad to see a room of people with googles on looking around and everyone is in their own world looking at virtual content when the real stuff is in front of them (Smartphones are bad enough).  I do however like the Hololens which allows an AR/VR experience, at this point Hololens costs about $3,000 and I know other companies are creating ones compatible with the Hololens software for $299 (Which is still a high priced item).  

I hear a lot about all of these technologies and just heard a talk about how VR will become the wave of the future, but I feel the jury is still out for this one (at least for me).  I believe that people will not like the idea of putting something on their heads to view content but maybe as a novelty or a flashy exhibit but that's about it and not the norm. The TV manufactures tried to force 3D TVs but this did not appeal to people and all you had to do is put on glasses and watch TV (How simple is that?). Now you want them to put on googles? Not sure if this would fly for a user in order to view content, also what happened to the Google Glasses?  I do have vision issues and not all googles work for me so you have that issue too.

I do like the idea of the Hololens because you get to relate to things without being isolated in dark googles.  One example that I saw for the Hololens was to go to a furniture web site and you can put the chair you want to buy at the table you have in your house to see how it would look before you buy the item which I think is very cool.

Here are some questions that need to be asked:

• Is it a practical thing for Museums?
    • Do we want visitors to look at real objects or virtual ones?
    • How many googles would be need?
    • Each head is different and would constantly need to be resized so will they be durable?
    • What if the googles don't fit or if a user can't see correctly with the googles does this mean they can't participate? 
    • What if someone has lice or other skin issues?
    • How do you clean them?
    • Do you have staff to monitor the users and clean them? (note this is a recurring cost beyond the purchase of the equipment)
    • Do you charge to use the googles because you need to pay for software development, cleaning and staff?
    • Does it fit with the exhibit or is it forced in order to have new technology?

I don't believe this is something you can have visitors do on their own.  I don't want to sound negative but these are real questions that I think most don't ask and just want to have the flashy technology without thinking it through.

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 6.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 10-31-2016 02:28 PM

I will attempt to answer some of the questions that have presented.  That said I think the biggest question is:

Is such an experience too close to entertainment for a museum or science center to accept?

• Is it a practical thing for Museums? 
      >With bring your own device experiences I think it can be more practical.  I also think that if people visit to try out the experience it is worth it as it could draw in more visitors (as rides and coaster do at theme parks)

• Do we want visitors to look at real objects or virtual ones?
      >I think I would like to look at real and virtual, typically I would love to see a skeleton but then also the virtual representation of the animal that it once was

• How many googles would be need?
      >This is a question of how many visitors

• Each head is different and would constantly need to be resized so will they be durable?>Theme parks are doing this now and the headsets are adjustable

• What if the googles don't fit or if a user can't see correctly with the googles does this mean they can't participate? 
      >I have yet to see one that does not fit

• What if someone has lice or other skin issues?>They are disinfected at theme parks or a protective/washable cover can be used.  
    • Do you have staff to monitor the users and clean them? (note this is a recurring cost beyond the purchase of the equipment)
      >Good point.  

• Do you charge to use the googles because you need to pay for software development, cleaning and staff?>I think it could be charged for as a per use

• Does it fit with the exhibit or is it forced in order to have new technology?>Another good point.  I assume that for an investment of this type that it would be the exhibit.  Example: sailing with Christopher Columbus
    Mike Sorrenti
    Aurora ON

• 7.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 11-01-2016 08:26 AM

There are some great advantages to VR, as well as some downfalls.  The obvious cost is the big one for museums and science centers.  Though the initial cost has come down greatly, there is still the need to staff any VR environment full time to on-board people and take care of the equipment.  The advantage of VR however is to be able to experience something that you can't do physically.  

One good example I would take from Invivo is their VR bloodstream experience.  In real life I can look at a person closely, I can examine their form, and I can even take a blood sample and look at it under a microscope.  But, I can't shrink down and walk through their blood vessels to see how the white blood cells and red blood cells flow through the bloodstream and interact with each other, except in VR.

VR experiences can greatly enhance learning opportunities by looking out of the box a bit to add additional layers to the learning experience that would not otherwise be possible in the physical world.  It's also relatively easy to throw a big screen projector up to share the experience to a larger audience without everyone having to be inside the experience all at once.

However practicality would say that likely the best route for museums right now would be to pursue more of an arcade style of approach and have 3 or 4 VR sets in one area, and area that they could likely charge an additional admission for entry to cover the added costs.

Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

• 8.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 11-01-2016 12:54 PM

An arcade area!  I hadnt thought of that.  Or even a VR only area that features sit down and stand up, etc.

-Mike Sorrenti

Home - Product Landing Demo

VRGEN remove preview
    Home - Product Landing Demo
    View this on VRGEN >

Home

Game Pill Interactive remove preview
    Home
    Increase your reach & engage your customers. Get the facts. We help brands to extend their digital presence. Learn more. The biggest b
    View this on Game Pill Interactive >

Mike Sorrenti
    Aurora ON

• 9.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 11-02-2016 11:45 AM
    Hi Michael and Mike, and others!

There are several museums that are already using VR and they are taking
    a variety of approaches. The list includes art museums, science museums
    and history museums.

For example, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Atlanta
    is offering a group experience about Rosa Parks, with multiple users and
    devices; the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia just opened the largest
    VR Experience to date, with VR experiences in core exhibitions, a VR
    library with science related films from around the world, and a VR
    demonstration and lab space; the US Holocaust Memorial Museum is
    presenting an experience with a few headsets that can be used by
    individuals. And there's also Woofbert, a company designing 3D VR
    experiences mostly for art museums at this point. The British Museum
    developed a very successful VR experience in
    2015:http://mw2016.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/virtual-reality-at-the-british-museum-what-is-the-value-of-virtual-reality-environments-for-learning-by-children-and-young-people-schools-and-families/

VR offers an unparalleled experience. Viewers feel like they have
    actually experienced the events they're seeing, if true 360 video is
    used. Museums are already exploring the options to see how VR can
    enhance visitors' understanding and appreciation of their collections.

Robin

Robin White Owen
    robin@mediacombo.net
    646-472-5145
    www.mediacombo.net
    @rocombo

• 10.  RE: VIVELAND virtual reality theme park

Posted 11-09-2016 10:29 AM

Hello Robin,

I was not aware of this.  Thank you for sharing the link.  It is refreshing to see this!  I hope to experience it in person soon.

Mike Sorrenti
    Aurora ON