Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gallery Walls

Posted 10-10-2016 03:39 PM

We are looking for options on reconfigurable gallery walls. We have looked at the Mila-Wall product from MBA, but it is expensive. The walls won't be moved often. We have considered building out walls that are semi-permanent instead.  Does anybody have any suggestions on a wall system or experience going the in-house route? Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

P.O. Box 12866
    Pensacola, FL 32591

(850) 595-5840 ext.105
    fax (850)595-5841

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gallery Walls

Posted 10-11-2016 07:30 AM
    Hi Wanda. We build our walls in house. They have false panels at the bottom that look like the reveal on our permanent walls. These panels are easily removed to accommodate a jack for movement. If you need more specifics please let me know.

Holly

Holly Keris

Chief Operating Officer &

Chief Curator

829 Riverside Avenue

Jacksonville FL 32204

904.899.601direct

904.353.4101 fax

cummermuseum.org

Sent from my iPad

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gallery Walls

Posted 10-11-2016 04:57 PM
    Wanda

A Google search for "exhibit walls" finds many commercial options in addition to MBA: Panelock, NFA Space, Sing Core, LA Wall, etc. I don't have first-hand experience with any, but have explored MBA Mila-Wall in the past. I don't know how the others compare in price.

Have done in-house systems, but had excellent in-house fabrication capabilities. It's much easier if you can attach walls to an overhead structure. If not components must be wide enough to stand alone, or always joined to form corners for stability. Also have experience with an L-shaped wall that has locking casters so can be moved around to change the gallery configuration. Everything is a trade-off: large and stable usually means heavy and hard to move; light and easy to move can mean hard to stabilize and easy for visitors to knock around.

An art gallery in Birmingham uses plywood or MDF panels hung from overhead pipe rails. They can slide the panels down the middle of the gallery-slide apart for a series of small panels, or together for longer wall sections

If you don't have in-house fabrication, you might look for a local theater. The techs there should have experience building walls similar to what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Mark

Mark Driscoll, Designer
    Driscoll Design Inc.
    1927 South Hull Street, Montgomery, AL 36104 USA
    Phone 334-262-8047  Cell 334-294-6663