Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  looking for co-presenters for breaking down barriers for community involvement in exhibits

Posted 08-30-2016 12:42 AM

We are a medium sized history museum that uses history to build community. We also look to include community in forming, framing and interpreting our exhibits to varying degrees depending upon the type of exhibit that will be at the museum. I am interested in presenting some of our strategies for creating a more participatory and democratized approach for exhibits - community engagement, new technology and digitization, participatory development processes and creating multiple access points for engagement.

Seeking co-panelists from other institutions who are developing innovative strategies to involve community.

------------------------------
    Kate Baillon
    VP Exhibitions
    Levine Museum of the New South
    Charlotte NC
    kbaillon-case@museumofthenewsouth.org
    704-333-1887 ext 231
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: looking for co-presenters for breaking down barriers for community involvement in exhibits

Posted 08-31-2016 09:35 AM

Good morning, Kate,

I love your idea and I'd be very interested in collaborating! In the past year, I've put together one exhibition using community oral histories for the Atkinson Museum at Hampden-Sydney College, and another in my position as Collections Manager at the Longwood Center for the Visual Arts (Longwood University). At the LCVA, we created "Locally Sourced"--an exhibition where we invited community members to choose their favorite works in our collection, and then invited visitors to the exhibition to leave their thoughts on each piece to encourage community dialogue. If you're interested in working together, let me know what you'd like to do to get started!

Thanks so much,

Ebie Baker

bakerer@longwood.edu

Elizabeth Baker
    Collections Manager
    Longwood Center for the Visual Arts
    Farmville VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: looking for co-presenters for breaking down barriers for community involvement in exhibits

Posted 08-31-2016 09:56 AM

I actually just posted a similar request for participants but would be happy to join in your presentation. Would you be interested in having an exhibition designer on your panel? Eric Heiman, founder and creative director of Volume in San Francisco, has worked on exhibition design for museums like Yerba Buena Culture Center and California Academy of Sciences and the Presidio Trust. They've also done some incredible interactive exhibition work with the Boy Scouts of America and the TED conferences, among others . . .

Here's the idea they wanted to explore with AAM this year:

"The team at Volume has been working with museums to facilitate engagement, working with museums and galleries using design in a variety of creative ways to attract and activate audiences. In this age of social media and sharing, how do arts institutions continue to leverage their strengths but also invite audiences to more directly participate beyond simply the usual exhibition visit? How do they expand the museum beyond the museum walls?  It’s provocative but very valuable, particularly in the context of multi-platform branding and interactions. And without sacrificing the core values and brand identity that make the institution what it is? This multi-platform world challenges traditional notions of branding, promotion and experience. It requires museums to embrace flexibility, transparency, and new ideas around what constitutes a meaningful connection to their cultural offerings. How are designers working with museums to build-in flexibility, modularity and meaning do this?"

I think there's a useful take here on the question your raising with your proposed panel discussion. Can I connect you with Eric?

Jennifer Rittner
    Content Matters
    Montclair NJ