Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Interpretive Planning

Posted 08-25-2016 10:59 AM

Hello All,

I am in the early stages of developing an interpretive master plan for The Parklands of Floyds Fork, and I am on the hunt for examples of successful plans. The Parklands is a 4,000 acre urban public park system that is only about 5 years old; we just opened the final park this past April. We host summer camps and field trips through our Outdoor Classroom initiative, and lead guided hikes as well. Our current focus is science-based, (mostly geared towards the natural sciences) but it would be great to start showcasing The Parklands' cultural history as well. Unless they stop by the welcome center, our average park visitor rarely learns any of the vast amount of information we know about The Parklands, which is something we would like to change. 

My question for the community is: what goes into an interpretive master plan? How does one ensure the plan is not simply a list of potentials, but contains concrete solutions and achievable goals? This is the first plan I have written, so any advice or examples plans would be much appreciated. I have been using resources such as Beverly Serrell's Exhibit Labels, Alan Leftridge's Interpretive Writing, and various AAM/NAI/NPS documents and sources. 

Many thanks!

Sarah

------------------------------
    Sarah Daley, Interpretive Designer
    sdaley@21cparks.org
    The Parklands of Floyds Fork
    Louisville, Kentucky
    www.theparklands.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Interpretive Planning

Posted 08-26-2016 07:55 AM

IMTAL - HOME

You might consider checking out the International Museum Theatre Alliance (IMTAL) at IMTAL - HOME. We are an organization the supports the use of theatre as an interpretive approach in museums and other cultural institutions. 

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Interpretive Planning

Posted 08-26-2016 09:28 AM

Hi Amber,

I will definitely keep this in mind once we come to that point in the process. 

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

sdaley@21cparks.org
    Louisville, Kentucky
    www.theparklands.org

• 4.  RE: Interpretive Planning

Posted 08-29-2016 08:21 AM

Check with Richard Kohen of National Park Service, Richard_Kohen@nps.gov -- he (and Kim Sikoryak, who's retired now) developed an excellent planning/development process, Comprehensive Interpretive Plan; he'll be able to point you toward both the info on how they do this as well as some sample park plans. (Okay to tell him I sent you!)

In addition, check with National Association for Interpretation (NAI) -- they have training/workshop leading to certification in interpretive planning, recently (or possibly still in the process of being) revamped. I'd begin with Emily Jacobs, ejacobs@interpnet.com. Info about the CIP training is here: Process of Interpretive Planning

Interpnet remove preview
    Process of Interpretive Planning

View this on Interpnet >
    Judy Brenneman
    Owner, Greenfire Creative, LLC
    Fort Collins CO

• 5.  RE: Interpretive Planning

Posted 08-29-2016 08:58 AM

Hi Judy - thank you so much for the contact suggestions! I had previously found the NPS Interpretive Development Program and Process Model online, and it will be extremely beneficial to speak with some of the individuals who helped create those documents, as well as see some example parks. The CIP training through NAI is something I am planning to really push for our interpretive rangers at The Parklands. 

Thanks again!

sdaley@21cparks.org
    Louisville, Kentucky
    www.theparklands.org