Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Environmental Monitoring/Control Query

Posted 08-18-2016 09:08 AM

Greetings! I am looking to re-institute regular environmental monitoring via data loggers at our two historic house museums. Does anyone know a source for relatively low cost loggers? I know Hobo is popular and have used Dickinson's models in the past -though it has been several years. I am hoping they have come down in cost as my budget is only about $200 max per unit. Any recommended low cost models would be appreciated! Also we are working on regulating the humidity in a small contained space that is used to store our repro firearms used for demonstrations. Has anyone had any experience or would recommend using a dehumidifier stick for this purpose? I had never seen one until one of my colleagues emailed me a link to one sold by Home Depot.

Laura Willoughby

Historic Site Coordinator

Newport News Parks, Recreation and Tourism

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Environmental Monitoring/Control Query

Posted 08-19-2016 08:12 AM

We bought these hobo dataloggers for $89 are a very happy with them. There is definitely a wide selection of devices out there, so I am sure you can find something to fit your budget. http://www.onsetcomp.com/products/data-loggers/ux100-003

------------------------------
    Sandra Trenholm
    Curator
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Environmental Monitoring/Control Query

Posted 08-19-2016 11:35 AM

Good morning –

We've found the HOBO dataloggers by Onset Computers to be very affordable and accurate and generally recommend them; they are easy to set up and maintain and I've always had good tech support from the Onset folks.  Recently we've deployed both the UX-100 series 2.5% loggers ($125) and the MX-series T/RH wireless loggers ($135) and have received good data with them. 

For collections risk analysis we also recommend that our clients add a subscription to IPI's eClimate Notebook® software for analysis and review.

Happy to answer any other questions either on or off list.

Wendy Claire Jessup

Conservator

Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.

Care of Cultural Property

933 N. Kenmore Street, Suite 323

Arlington, VA 22201

(703) 522-2801

www.collectioncare.com