Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-09-2016 01:14 PM

Dear Colleagues,

I am interested in finding co-presenters for AAM 2017 to discuss training/recruitment approaches. At Vizcaya Museum and Gardens our Volunteer Guides mentor program has evolved into a model where mentors play a key role in the recruitment and training of new guides. I am interested in presenting the evolution of our model and discussing the current structure of the program along with other unique approaches in the field.

If you are interested in crafting a proposal in the area please contact me.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-10-2016 10:27 AM

Hi Mark,

I saw your message today, and I thought it sparked my interest. I just kicked off a mentor program at Crystal Bridges with our Gallery Guide Program to enhance ongoing training and be a major part of candidate training starting next February. 

I can't commit to presenting at this point (travel budget is still in process), but I am intrigued and wanted to know more about the direction you are planning to take with your proposal.

Thanks so much!

Alyssa

Alyssa Wilson
    Guide Program Manager
    Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
    Bentonville AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-10-2016 04:26 PM

Hi Mark, 

I'd love to talk with you about submitting a proposal for AAM in St. Louis. We have used mentor docents in our four most recent candidate training years and it has proved very successful! I'd be happy to talk about the evolution of our mentor-candidate relationship, commitment, and guidelines (I have documents for all and feedback/evaluations from candidates and mentors).

I can also talk about a recruiting strategy I've just completed. We offered a two week free class called "A Taste of Docent Training" to let curious people know about the program, but it also doubled as an active, dialogical program for adults. I was SO VERY happy with the level of participation and the participants indicated they were thrilled with the opportunity. One said, "I didn't know I could do that in the museum!" and I've been looking forward to this all week (after the first class). We limited the registration to 16 people and 12 showed up; of the 12, eight people opted-in to be added to the docent recruitment list. (smile!) 

Fondly, 

Jill Featherstone

Jill Featherstone
    Director of Education
    Des Moines Art Center - Edmundson Art Foundation
    Des Moines IA

• 4.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-14-2016 11:33 PM

You might want to get in touch with Niki Cuccinotto (niki.cuccinotto@mim.org) at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, who is running a very similar program with the volunteer guides there called the MG Mentors program.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 5.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-15-2016 10:33 AM

You might want to get in touch with Kathleen Holko she leads a strong docent program at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich CT.  

Corinne Flax
    Manager of School and Community Partnerships
    Bruce Museum
    Greenwich CT

• 6.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-26-2016 07:26 PM

We don't have volunteers or docents at my museum but I would be interested in speaking on the training process our Visitor Services Associates (VSAs) who staff the galleries go through. We run a hybrid model with no security guards within the galleries. VSAs have the dual responsibility of keeping the artwork safe and meaningfully engaging visitors. 

We have an online training program and also partner new VSAs with experienced VSAs. The Broad is a new museum open just a year next month.

Stacey Swanby
    Visitor Services Supervisor
    The Broad
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Volunteer Guides/Docent training/recruitment approaches

Posted 08-29-2016 02:06 PM

Mark,

Are you only looking for volunteer docent partners or are you interested in adding voices to your panels from other types of programs at museums that don't use docents?  

Tamra Birchfield
    Manager, Volunteer and Internship Program
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA