View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Anonymous Member

Anonymous Member08-09-2016 12:07 PM

• 1.  Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-05-2016 08:36 AM

Hello Everyone,

Wearing my hat as the programs person for AAM's Historic House Network, I'd like to put out a request for suggestions and ideas for session proposals that are focused on Historic Homes and Sites in the hopes that we will have a larger presence at the 2017 AAM annual conference.  Those of us on the HHN board are happy to support your efforts, help you find others to present with, etc. 

Thanks in advance for support of this initiative!

Ann

Ann M. Loshaw

Vice President, Education & Visitor Experience

The Historic Ford Estates

1100 Lake Shore Road

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI 48236

313-884-4222

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-05-2016 10:32 AM

If such a panel were organized, I could participate in one that discussed ways historic house museums are innovating with unusual programs that reflect the mission of the museum but inject new ideas.  I would explain an exhibition of contemporary furniture (on until Aug. 16) made by superb Hudson Valley artisans where our curator, Jennifer Carlquist, placed pieces in our Federal-period rooms and mixed old examples of our furniture with new pieces in our gallery.

Steve 

------------------------------
    Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-08-2016 09:32 AM

One thing that has interested me is how artists' homes meet the challenge of maintaining the working space of the artist (so visitors can see the "real thing"), as well as have changing exhibits and serve their communities.    If someone wants to pursue that I have some suggestions for possible sites that could be involved.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 4.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-09-2016 10:03 AM

These are all great ideas.  Janice, I hope we get responses to yours, because I think that's a fascinating topic.  Either the NY or CA sites could serve as a case study; I'd be happy to brainstorm with you to put the session together.

Sue

Susan Goganian
    Director
    Beverly Historical Society & Museum
    Beverly MA
    978-922-1186 x 204

• 5.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-12-2016 12:34 PM

Are you familiar with the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Historic Artists' Homes & Studios program?  My workplace, T.C. Steele State Historic Site, is a member.  This is exactly the issue all the members of the group deal with on a day-to-day basis, both in terms of preservation and in terms of interpretation.

Andrea deTarnowsky, Historic Site Manager
    T.C. Steele State Historic Site
    Indiana State Museum & Historic Sites system
    Nashville IN

• 6.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-08-2016 11:44 AM

As the Education Coordinator for a restored family home in Salinas, CA, we could discuss how we took the oldest home in Salinas (1868) from a museum that no one knew about to an educational center that will host around 3000 students this school year- 1500 third graders learning about the history of Salinas (founded in 1868)  and 1500 fifth graders leaning about the California trail and the family's experiences on the trail.

Mary Randall
    Education Coordinator
    First Mayor's House of Salinas City
    Salinas CA

• 7.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-11-2016 10:20 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all so much for  these intriguing ideas.  I would encourage each of you to being working on a submission!  If you have specific needs, help writing the proposal, categorizing it, finding co-presenters, please let us know and we can then utilize our additional contacts to help you out as well. I will also be sure to specifically pass these along to our board members in case any can see an immediate place they can help.  

In addition, if you are moving forward, please let me know and we can also get the word out on the HHN Facebook page, newsletter, etc. to round up more troops!

Thanks,

Ann

Ann Loshaw
    Vice President, Education & Visitor Experience
    Historic Ford Estates
    Grosse Pointe Shores MI

• 8.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 08-09-2016 12:07 PM
    This post was removed

• 9.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-09-2016 12:55 PM

Hi

I am the ED of the Metropolitan Waterworks Museum in Boston, MA. Our museum was developed through a grassroots friends organization and utilized condo development to preserve the building our museum is housed in. It is a very unusual approach and I believe would align very well with Lisa's ideas about design and unique ways to approach historic preservation. We would be a very interesting case study. I would enjoy being part of a panel that looks at interesting ways to preserve an important historic place. We also do a lot of educational programming around safe water, which is a hot topic right now. Please let me know if you would be interested in submitting a proposal with me.

www.waterworksmuseum.org

Barbara Elfman
    Metropolitan WaterWorks Museum, Inc.
    Boston MA

• 10.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-09-2016 12:58 PM

Hi Ann!

I would be interested in finding colleagues to present how technology is being used as an interpretive tool in Historic Homes to make the spaces more dynamic for visitors. I can contribute concerning the development of a digital strategy approach to interpretation.

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 11.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-10-2016 10:36 PM

Hello Ann, 

Perhaps a good session would be: a roundtable that shares different examples (and the resulting challenges) of HHMs that are evolving/addressing their interpretation, programming--even their mission--in the acknowledgement that relying on current average HHM visitor demographics and interests is not a sustainable operational paradigm. 

For example, take the movie "Gone with the Wind" an extremely strong cultural touchpoint for many of those visiting a historic site/plantation. However, the response to that reference is extremely different if the visitor is a 50-70 y/o female, or a young Millennial. Their interests, values, expectations and world perspectives are different.

This difference could also be applied to feelings towards technology, participation, etc.

How do we, as HHMs, address, evolve, and change to prove viable places of interpretation for future generations, without alienating what is the often the core visitor of many HHMs? 

A topic like that would be relevant and allow for a variety of panelists (programming, technology, mission, interpretation), resulting in a very viable and helpful session. 

Laura Kilcer VanHuss
    Curator of Collections
    Oak Alley Foundation

• 12.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-12-2016 10:45 AM

HI Everyone:

Here's a link to the session format information, and I echo Ann's willingness to help if needed.

Session Formats

Susan Goganian
    Director
    Beverly Historical Society & Museum
    Beverly MA

• 13.  RE: Historic Home and Site Focused Session Proposals

Posted 08-30-2016 02:50 PM

Would anyone be interested in collaborating on a presentation about how HHMs can think "outside the box" to successfully partner with organizations outside the traditional museum world?

We've had success this year in working with diverse organizations to create educational, marketing, and content creation opportunities, working with a national science advocacy organization, two regional shopping centers (creating collaborative education/outreach events and a space for offsite museum events), our state inventor's hall of fame, and finding new and creative ways to partner with more traditional partners, like colleges and universities. 

Mike Cosden
    Curator
    Edison and Ford Winter Estates
    Ft Myers FL