Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  RFP for IMLS Federal Grant

Posted 10-27-2014 09:05 AM

RFP for IMLS Grant for mobile Storage

The Oakes museum of Natural History at Messiah College received a 2014 IMLS Museums for America grant.  The grant is to install a mobile storage system to rehouse our collections in our storage area.  Of course, we have to write an RFP as part of the process.  Messiah College has received federal academic grants but never one for an installation process.  Could anyone who has received an IMLS grant for mobile storage share their RFP so we know what needs to be included?

Looking to hear from you!!!!!

Ken Mark

Director, Oakes Museum of Natural History

One College Ave.  Suite 3029

Mechanicsburg, PA  17055

kmark@messiah.edu

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: RFP for IMLS Federal Grant

Posted 10-31-2014 11:58 AM
    Hi Ken,

I recommend contacting a few mobile collection storage companies (Montel, Spacesaver, etc.) and ask for their best examples that have been sent by other museums. I bet these firms have a stockpile and assume the docs are not confidential since they are posted and sent out to multiple companies.

There are also consultants (e.g. http://www.collectioncare.com/) that have expertise preparing RFPs which is another route to take.

-------------------------------------------
    Suzanne Hale
    Registrar/Collections Manager
    University Art Museum, Colorado State University
    Fort Collins CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: RFP for IMLS Federal Grant

Posted 10-31-2014 01:19 PM
    Hi Kenneth,

AAM has some information on developing RFP's in our online Resource Library, and I found a couple of examples online:

• Florence County South Carolina has an RFP for a mobile storage system (well more for collections storage in general)
    • Niagara Historical Society & Museum issued an RFP for a needs assessment including storage needs in June
    • The Canadian Public Tenders also issued an RFP for High Density Mobile Storage

I hope these are helpful!

Cecelia

Cecelia Walls
    Information Center Manager
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC