Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Digitizing Documents

Posted 07-26-2016 12:26 PM

Hi all,

I am looking to possibly digitize a large hand written diary. The diary is historically important to TN and chronicles life during the Civil War. It's a massive ledger sized book consisting of about 900 pages. Has anyone used the handheld wand scanners for such a task? If so, is it possible to get a high resolution with those? If anyone else has any suggestions on how to undertake a task like this, please let me know. 

------------------------------
    Kali Mason
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Digitizing Documents

Posted 07-27-2016 09:04 AM

I've used a wand scanner for archiving historic documents in the past, and the process was very successful. The one I used had various resolution settings, and went much higher than I ever had a need for. (I believe it was a VuPoint Magic Wand.) The limiting factors are size, and how flat you can get your book--if there's much curvature on side of the page where the binding is, the edge generally gets blurred out as the depth of focus on the little scanners is very small. Most of the things I scanned were flat documents, but I did get some good images of book and ledger pages as well.

Best of luck!

Emily Kirk
    Concept Designer
    The Henry Ford
    Dearborn MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Digitizing Documents

Posted 07-27-2016 04:01 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback! I may try the wand and see how it goes! 

Kali Mason