Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-20-2016 01:53 PM
    Greetings,
    A Syrian refugee family will soon be coming to Eugene, Oregon, where I live and work (as an interpretive planning consultant). Some of us are helping to prepare a house for this family, whose 4-year-old suffers from xerodoma pigmentosa--his body doesn't repair the damage done by UV rays. We need enough 99% protective window film to cover the windows in a small house. I've tried various manufacturers but so far no luck. All suggestions welcome. Please note that this family has kept their son alive for four years, first in war-torn Syria and then in a refugee camp in Turkey. He must be some special kid!

Thanks for your consideration,
    Alice Parman 
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-21-2016 09:25 AM

Good Morning - I am not an expert but you may find some help at uvprocess.com who supply UV filters.  There is also xps.org a support group for families and people with this condition.  Perhaps they can recommend products they have found and used.  I wish you well in helping this family.  Service to others in need is beautiful.  

------------------------------
    Gurufateh Khalsa
    Manager
    Siri Singh Sahib Corp
    Santa Cruz NM

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-21-2016 09:45 AM

You should look into 3M Prestige Window Film for residences.

Window film for sun control and safety in your home - 3M US

3m remove preview
    Window film for sun control and safety in your home - 3M US
    Improve the comfort of your home and increase energy savings while you reduce solar glare and furniture fading with 3M clear and tinted residential window films.
    View this on 3m >

They claim 99% UV rejection.

Benjamin Gonzales
    A.V. Systems Design & Programming

• 4.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-21-2016 09:53 AM

We have used products by 3M for UV Filter on gallery windows and also products by Madico. Here are a couple of links:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/

http://www.madico.com/window-film/

I hope that helps out.

Best, Tom

Tom Merrill
    Preparator
    Sterling & Francine Clark Art Institute
    Williamstown MA

• 5.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-21-2016 12:11 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. Now I have a place to start with 3M, which several people have recommended. Also found 3 dealers in Oregon. 

I'll let you all know what happens!

Alice

Alice Parman
    Interpretive Planner
    Eugene OR

• 6.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-21-2016 11:47 AM

Alice

Have you looked at this:

Commercial Building Safety & Security Window Films

3m remove preview
    Commercial Building Safety & Security Window Films
    Commercial safety and security window films help protect your building from severe storms, accidents, crime and vandalism.
    View this on 3m >
    alan ransenberg
    planner/ designer/ owner
    the alchemy of design
    portland or

• 7.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-21-2016 01:22 PM

Hi Alice,

We needed UV film for windows in our offices and contacted a company that installs it here in Los Angeles, you might look for one in your area rather than the manufacturers. There are also blinds that block 99% of UV light, like these: Select Sheer Weave 1% Solar Shades | SelectBlinds.com

Selectblinds remove preview
    Select Sheer Weave 1% Solar Shades | SelectBlinds.com
    Description Now 100% Cordless! These shades will give your space a modern, streamlined, clean look and feel. The Select Sheer Weave 1% Solar Shades are modern, offer many benefits, and are fully customizable. But they're also versatile, so they will work with any design style, including traditional and even coastal.
    View this on Selectblinds >
    Rachel Smith PhD
    Director
    Corita Art Center
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-22-2016 10:20 AM

We added UV protection to skylights recently so I asked our Facilities Manager for the production info.  He says: We used a product called Vista Window Film. I have included a link the the products website. We used a film that give a low reflectance and controls solar glare. 

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    Curator of Exhibitions
    New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: Looking for extra UV protective window film

Posted 07-22-2016 11:06 AM

Hi Alice,

Creation Baumann produces heat and glare protection fabrics for drapery or panels. These fabrics are backed with silver or steel to absorb UV rays.  Test results are provided on our website.  Here is a link to the selection of fabrics: Products - Création Baumann

Creationbaumann remove preview
    Products - Création Baumann
    ReferencesFor real-life ideas and incentives: references selected by Création Baumann.
    View this on Creationbaumann >
    Kira Cruse
    Museum Sales Representative
    Creation Baumann
    New York NY