Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-23-2014 04:08 PM
    The Milwaukee Art Museum is looking to develop a "Gallery Attendant" program, and I would be interested in your stories of similar efforts, ...or suggestions of where you have seen a similar program. These would not be Gallery Guards, we have those already, and not Docents. These would be knowledgeable individuals stationed in galleries to greet guests, engage them in conversations about the art, other local areas of interest, give guests a greater understanding of the museum and its programs, or just be a warm, inviting presence. ------------------------------------------- Bryan Kwapil Director of Visitor Experience Milwaukee Art Museum Milwaukee WI -------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-24-2014 09:59 AM
    Hi Brian, This idea seems to be gaining traction and I've seen a few examples. Last year on a trip of San Fransisco, I noticed that SFMOMA has gallery attendants who seemed to serve this function. They were carrying iPads and speaking with visitors. I haven't been able to suss out any more about them via Google though. The Chrysler Museum of Art has really fabulous program that was featured in the book "Magnetic: The Art and Science of Engagement <http://https://aam-us.org/ProductCatalog/Product?ID=3927>." Their program <http://http://www.chrysler.org/events-calendar/details/19588> has been around a number of years. Tate Modern also has attendants, but in my conversations with them during a visit last December, they seem more visitor services oriented than content oriented. I'd be interested in hearing more examples too. Hope that helps! Best, Sara ------------------------------------------- Sara Devine Manager, Audience Engagement and Interpretive Materials Brooklyn Museum of Art Brooklyn NY -------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-25-2014 10:43 AM
    Sarah, that's extremely helpful. Thanks! Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-24-2014 11:30 PM
    The Guggenheim has a very successful program. If you do not already have a contact there I can put you in touch with someone. Good luck with this program! ------------------------------------------- Rebecca Herz Independant Consultant Peoria IL -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-27-2014 03:03 PM
    I recall visiting the Newark Museum many, many years ago, where the security guards were trained in the artwork and exhibitions in their respective galleries, and struck up conversations with visitors. It was a very welcoming experience. I am not sure if they still have this program but it may be worth reaching out to someone there.

--Andrea

-------------------------------------------
    Andrea Fabry
    Senior Manager, Institutional Gifts
    Morgan Library & Museum
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-27-2014 01:59 PM
    We've had a successful gallery attendant program for a few years now in the Bakalar & Paine Galleries at Massachusetts College of Art and Design. The gallery attendants are students at the college who go through a week-long intensive training before each semester and have weekly meetings during the academic year to hone their skills. They do research and are well-versed in the exhibitions and can engage visitors at many different levels, from answering questions to giving detailed tours (impromptu and scheduled) for individuals, groups, and classes.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with our Curator of Education if you'd like more details about what has worked for us.

Darci Hanna
    Curatorial Associate
    Massachusetts College of Art & Design
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: Gallery Attendants?

Posted 10-27-2014 02:32 PM

We also have a gallery attendant program with undergraduate students. They are our front line staff when exhibitions are open and installation crew when exhibitions are changing.

Darci, would you be willing to share your training curriculum for the week-long prep and the types of topics covered in your weekly meetings? We do training when gallery staff are hired and I'm interested in learning about other training programs. Thanks!

Lin Nelson-Mayson
    Director
    Goldstein Museum of Design University of Minnesota
    Saint Paul MN