Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museums with large performance spaces

Posted 07-15-2016 02:03 PM

All,

I'm doing some research on museums that have large performance spaces -- 500 seat to 1800- seat -- within the museum complex. Beside the Toledo Museum of Art, and a couple I know that have smaller venues, I'd appreciate any references for spaces that host both music performances, dance, lectures, etc.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Carolynne Harris
    Vice President
    Arts Consulting Group
    Denver CO
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museums with large performance spaces

Posted 07-18-2016 10:37 AM

Hi Carolynne- the Clay Center in Charleston, WV has a large performance space attached.

Clay Center - about

Theclaycenter remove preview
    Clay Center - about
    about the clay center
    View this on Theclaycenter >
    Wendy Brenneman
    Manager EC STEM Initiatives
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museums with large performance spaces

Posted 07-18-2016 01:18 PM

In regard to your inquiry it's important to keep in mind an IRS requirement of income tax liability if the facility or usage of the space or facility to acquire revenue is not directly related to the mission statement of the 501(c)(3) as described in IRS documents.  Known as UBIT, many not-for-profits are not aware of the ramifications of non-compliance and increasing possible abuse of this non-compliance could result in an eventual increase in IRS scrutiny for 501(c)(3)'s as a whole group.     

Al Frank
    Consultant