Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

• 1.  Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-08-2016 09:46 AM

I am new to my position and I am working with a scheduling system from my predecessor. The part-time educators I am scheduling don't like the system, I don't like the system, so I am wondering, what are the other ways museums schedule their part-time staff? 

We are currently using a complex Google Calendar setup, which works in ways, but can be confusing. Do some people use Doodle? Do some have staff fill out availability on a paper calendar a month prior? What do you find that works well to schedule part-time staff that are, many times, juggling many different museum jobs.

I thank you for your insight!

------------------------------
    Max Metz
    Durant-Kenrick Manager/ Anne Larner Museum Educator
    Historic Newton - Newton MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-11-2016 06:03 AM

We use workschedule.net for all of our part time and 3/4 time educators. There's administrator access and educator access. As an educator, it seems like a pretty good system. I can access my work schedule anywhere online. It allows us to request time off. Is fairly easy to navigate/use. I know it took a big effort to change over to the system, and I'm not familiar with the administrative side of things, but it has definitely made a big difference for our department when it comes to scheduling a lot of different people and moving parts. I hope this helps!

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-11-2016 09:48 AM

At a former position we used Shiftplanning. This software was very useful for scheduling a large part-time staff. The software is cloud based, has an App and allows staff to schedule using their mobile devices.

https://www.shiftplanning.com/

Mark Osterman
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 4.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-11-2016 10:44 AM

Our site is in a similar situation I would like to add my voice to Mr. Metz's.  P;ease is there any workable scheduling system out there for small museums.  We are also looking for a software to schedule tools as well. 

Thank you

Stephen Bohlin
    Executive Director
    Andrew Low House
    Savannah GA

• 5.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-11-2016 12:02 PM

Are you their supervisor? If so, I would think you schedule staff when you need them - be it part-time paid or volunteers. You say they have many jobs at the museum. Are they in an education department or working across the spectrum of museum operations?  Just trying to figure out your scheduling dilemma.

We use the shared Outlook calendar to schedule group visits determine how many staff and volunteers are needed. Part-time people work a set schedule. We fill in an Excel document with the monthly schedule, have staff review it, and share it once that is done. It changes as people have requests, but it usually nothing too dramatic. I'm sure there are simpler methods today, but we created this template 22 years ago and it works for us as-is. Generally, we try to set up the next month's schedule by the middle of the previous month and try to give volunteers  sufficient time so that we can align our needs with their schedule.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 6.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-12-2016 09:20 AM

We use WhenIWork.com for our frontline team and it's great! It's also tiered in pricing per month, depending on how many staff you hire. Some seasons we have more, so we increase our plan, and then we can easily switch back down at any time. There isn't a contract, so it's also easy to cancel, if it's not the right fit. 

It's great for visual learners and you can color-code type of shift (i.e. Desk, Interpretation, Tour) with notes for each shift and there's a mobile app that staff can download for free. Time off requests are also very easy and, once approved, the rest of the team can view them to see who is or isn't available for covering a shift.

Allison Clark
    Visitor Experience Manager
    Minnetrista
    Muncie IN

• 7.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-12-2016 09:45 AM

We use a paper calendar, pencils, a push pin and a cork board to post the thing on. We have 11 docents for our mansion tours and 10 admission and shop staff.  They are all seasonal, hourly or part time and many have been with us for years.  They are excellent at covering for each other.  Works great!

Steve   

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 8.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-12-2016 11:32 AM

A couple of departments at my museum use whentowork.com to schedule our part time temporary staff.  I use it through the summer to schedule my teen Explainers.  There is manager access and employee access.  They have tiered pricing, a free one month trial, and various packages.  There is also an app, which is hugely helpful.  I have about 25 Explainers, and it works really well for all of us.  

Mieke Fay
    Youth & Family Programs Educator
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Corning NY

• 9.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-12-2016 02:23 PM

Hi Max,

At the Rosenbach we use SignUp.com, not for part-timers for volunteer guides, if that helps. They like it, it gives them the ability to swap shifts, cancel, or add new ones. It also allows me to feature a monthly collections highlight with museum updates.   

Andrew

Andrew White
    Volunteer Coordinator
    Rosenbach Museum & Library
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-12-2016 07:02 PM

Hi Max,

We use whentowork.com for our Guest Services, Event, and Education Teams. The site allows for messaging, scheduling shifts, and posting certain messages to a bulletin board that everyone in the site can see when they log in. Staff can indicate their availability and request transfers within the site. This feature enables managers to review and approve/deny these requests. You can view schedules by employee or by shift. Once you publish a schedule, you can see when an employee has viewed it. For employees that work in multiple departments, it's nice that all of these departments have access to the schedule just by logging in. The program also keeps track of hours scheduled per week, so it helps to make sure each employee is not scheduled for too many hours.

Kimberly Roberson
    Director of Membership
    Santa Barbara Zoo
    Santa Barbara CA

• 11.  RE: Methods for Part Time Staff Scheduling - Please Share

Posted 07-14-2016 04:38 PM

The education/tour department at the "Wing" uses Excel and email. That system always led to trouble for me because the various ways of communicating the schedule sometimes gets out of synch - the weekly email/Excel sheet vs. the Big Whiteboard vs. changes made since the weekly email (which might be verbal so no email record). I'm not 100% sure of my schedule even when I'm looking at it.

Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF), uses Shiftboard. SIFF's site says it uses over a 1000 volunteers over a year. As a volunteer, I like it. Partly because I'm 100% sure of my schedule when I check it on Shiftboard.

If you feel like having shiftboard kick $25 to SIFF for the referral, use the link below.

Shiftboard: Get Started with an Online Scheduling Free Trial

Michael Kan
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA