Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 06-14-2016 01:28 PM

Hi all, We want to use ipads on stands to provide exhibition info (a photo of the work and additional info). Does anyone know of programs that allow for interactive use and locking info so users cannot "play" on the device?

Miguel Seco
    Grants Manager

maseco@northmiamifl.gov

P 305 893 6211 x33

F 305 891 1472

https://s3.amazonaws.com/corporate.wisestamp.com/H1VMKmBThDx0gwSCJqDg_mocatextstack.png

770 NE 125th Street, North Miami, FL 33161

http://www.MyMOCA.org

Discover New Art.

72C68B98-4494-4B02-866C-677926CAE9E0

The City of North Miami is a public entity subject to Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes concerning public records. E-mail messages are covered under such laws and thus subject to disclosure. All E-mail sent and received is captured by our servers and kept as a public record.
      ­­  
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 06-15-2016 08:54 AM

Hello,

You can use an app like KioskPro: Kiosk Pro App | The perfect kiosk app for iOS

Kioskproapp remove preview

Kiosk Pro App | The perfect kiosk app for iOS
    As a specialized web browser designed to work both online and offline, Kiosk Pro can display web pages, documents or audio & video files as a streamlined kiosk, ready for the public.
    View this on Kioskproapp >

It depends a little on how you intend to deliver the content. If you have built a native app for the ipad, you can use its built in Guided Access feature to keep the tablet running a single app. To find Guided Access, go to Settings, the General, then Accessibility, then Guided Access. If you do this, be sure to shut off all other notifications on the device or a pop up could inadvertently give a visitor access to another app.

Feel free to email if you have any questions - I'd be happy to help.

------------------------------
    Despi Ross
    Founder & Lead Strategist

The Museum Playbook
    despi.ross@museumplaybook.com

www.museumplaybook.comDespi Ross
    Indianapolis IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 06-15-2016 09:53 AM
    We only experience issues if the iPads go through an unexpected power down & reboot cycle
    - Douglas

--
    Douglas Hegley
    Director of Media and Technology
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    2400 Third Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55404

• 4.  RE: IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 06-15-2016 10:06 AM
    Hi Miguel,

We do this often. We use a combination of KioskPro and Apple's own Guided Access. We create a pdf and load it onto the app. 

Hope that helps.

Best,

Please note that FIT is closed on Fridays during the summer.
    --
    Tamsen Young
    Museum Digital Media and Strategic Initiatives Manager
    The Museum at FIT
    New York City
    www.fitnyc.edu/museum

Visit our collections online | Find us on Facebook |  Twitter |  Instagram

• 5.  RE: IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 06-15-2016 12:37 PM

It depends on your budget and how tech savvy you are (or if you can find someone).  Most of what people are going to recommend are iPads with companies that offer monthly fees (I don't like monthly or yearly fees) to help you build and host your interactive, also these services require WiFi so if your WiFi goes down so does your tablets. I believe if you upgrade the plan you can have it run local to the iPad. Any App you have developed will be expensive and they will also charge a monthly hosting fee.

I use Android (Gasp!), I know I am against the grain, but the Android platform offers more flexibility.  You can install free apps to fully control the table as you can develop using HTML or use Flash and Adobe Air to create apps.  Also it is far easier to install apps 3rd party apps (meaning your developed Adobe Air App) on Android tablets.  If you want you can create a site using WordPress and have the tablet use WiFi to connect to that site, my only issue with this is that if your WiFi goes down the tablets will not work (same issue as above). So I run a local web server on the tablets and run my HTML code locally on them no WiFi needed.

You don't need a fancy tablet holder we designed the tablets into the exhibition and use bezels to cover all the buttons and power cords.

For us its just the cost of the tablet which can cost anywhere from $200 to $400, the price would depend on the screen size and memory. Remember with Android tablets you can add memory via an micro SD card so you don't need to spend the money on a tablet with a lot of memory.

Another option is a windows tablet running a full version of windows 10 which has a lot of benefits because it allows you to run almost any program you want.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 6.  RE: IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 06-15-2016 03:53 PM

I'd just add that I was seeking an iPad solution when I stumbled across NixPlay Digital Signage. A LOT less expensive and can be manipulated through the cloud with an app from wherever you are. There's also no chance of someone trying to play AND it shuts off when there's no one 'in range', saving (I hope) the device for longer use. Nixplay's Digital Signage Solutions Opens New Doors of Engagement

Nixplay remove preview
    Nixplay's Digital Signage Solutions Opens New Doors of Engagement
    Leverage your brand with Nixplay's digital signage solutions for powerful communications, cost effective marketing and increased profits. Learn more!
    View this on Nixplay >

I have no connection in any way to the company. Just found it and thought it's a great alternative for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Ed King, Grand Librarian/Museum Curator
    Grand Lodge of Masons in Maine
    http://www.mainemason.org

• 7.  RE: IPAD EXHIBITION LABEL STANDS

Posted 07-15-2016 03:32 PM

Apple's Guided Access usually will prevent you from exiting a slide show or application.  Do your iPad stands have restricted access to the iPad's home button?  If you would like some information on iPad holders with restricted home button access feel free to contact me.

Eloise Wierzbicki
    Customer Service and Sales Representative
    Art Display Essentials
    eloisew@artdisplay.com
    www.artdisplay.com
    www.10-31.com
    www.easelsbyamron.com
    2 West Crisman Road
    Columbia, NJ 07832
    USA