Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-13-2016 05:15 PM

In light of recent events, we wanted to provide the following resources related to active shooter situations.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security in shares a booklet on managing active shooter situations. The resource explains how to prepare and react to active shooters and provides guidance on training staff for an active shooter situation (PDF, 13 pages). https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/active_shooter_booklet.pdf

The Department also has a 4-minute training video for staff, Options for Consideration that illustrates the immediate actions to take if there is an active shooter is in the vicinity. Active Shooter Preparedness

Our hearts are heavy and our thoughts go out to everyone affected by the shootings in Orlando.

We're stronger together!

------------------------------
    Cecelia Walls
    Information Center Manager
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-14-2016 09:38 AM

Another good video is the one produced a few years ago by the City of Houston, Texas. 

RUN. HIDE. FIGHT.® Surviving an Active Shooter Event - English

CORRA. ESCONDASE. PELEE. Sobreviviendo un Tiroteo

Best thoughts to all and that you never need to use this training.

David Kennedy
    Curator of Collections and Exhibits
    US Marshals Museum
    Fort Smith, AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-14-2016 11:13 AM

Thanks for these resources. It's definitely something more museums need to prepare for. I've brought it up here at one of our safety meetings. Last year at the SEMC conference, I attended a session on preparing for an active shooter. I found it helpful and something that should be talked about more (and sad that we need to prepare ourselves like this). 

Kali Mason

• 4.  RE: Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-14-2016 11:34 AM

Hello All,

In addition to the above suggestions, have a look at the YouTube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0.

If you want the raw data, the City of New York put all the stats together here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/counterterrorism/ActiveShooter2012Edition.pdf 

Also, don't forget your local law enforcement, our city police department regularly holds "Active shooter, armed intruder" classes, as well as ALICE training (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evade).  More info here: http://www.alicetraining.com/ .  

If you haven't looked at ALICE, it's a real eye-opener. The rules have changed, our old training to lockdown and hide was making it easier for bad guys to hurt people.  ALICE gives us a set of options to improve our odds. 

It is my hope that we all get the training we need, and then never have to use it.

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
    Springdale AR

• 5.  RE: Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-15-2016 10:11 AM

All of this is really good information and advice, particularly the ALICE training.  The only advice I would add is this:

When SECONDS count, the police are just MINUTES away. 

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX

• 6.  RE: Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-15-2016 11:10 AM

David is right, for the first few minutes you'll be on your own.  How's your reaction plan?

I realize now the ALICE training site might be geared towards marketing their program rather than for disseminating information about it.

I wrote up a short paper outlining the basic ideas of ALICE for my co-workers that couldn't attend the training.  I'd be glad to send that to anybody that is interested, you can contact me off-list.

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
    Springdale AR

• 7.  RE: Active Shooter resources

Posted 06-20-2016 02:31 PM
    Edited by Kathleen McNeece 06-20-2016 02:32 PM

I second the ALICE recommendation.  For those of us in the public areas of museums office-based plans are basically useless.  The Homeland Security video we watched works for adults in a workplace, but if you are leading a tour or are in another group setting a different approach is necessary.

Kathleen McNeece
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH