Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gift acceptance policy

Posted 05-23-2016 09:23 AM

Hello,

We are reviewing and updating our gift acceptance policy. Would you be willing to share yours as an example? Thank you very much!

Best regards, 

Christine Kohls

Director of Development

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History

1 Wade Oval Drive

Cleveland, OH 44106

216.231.4600 x. 3228

ckohls@cmnh.org

B5E125BA-F9E8-4C2F-A1F8-0CA38E88A979

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gift acceptance policy

Posted 05-24-2016 08:33 AM

Gifts of what?  Money, collections, real estate/land, items to sell, office furniture, services...?  I've accepted or declined all in my career.

Thanks,

Steve 

------------------------------
    Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gift acceptance policy

Posted 05-25-2016 09:37 AM
      |   view attached

Christine,

I've attached the document that we've developed here which encompasses acceptance of various types of gifts.  I hope it's helpful.

Kelly Ritrievi JD
    Director of Development
    Salvador Dali Museum
    St. Petersburg FL

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Gift acceptance policy

Posted 05-25-2016 01:10 PM

Hello Christine. I'd suggest that you look at the model standards on the PPP website Guidelines for Reporting and Counting Charitable Gifts

Pppnet remove preview

Guidelines for Reporting and Counting Charitable Gifts
    To read an Executive Summary of the revised Guidelines for Reporting and Counting Charitable Planned Gifts, click here. To read the full text, click here.
    View this on Pppnet >

and/or the standards from CASE if you've got a colleague nearby in higher education. We encourage our clients to work with the finance or development committee to customize the standards for their institution's needs. That way, board members understand and "own" the policy. Also, if you are a collecting institution, take special care about your policy for accepting items that will (or won't) be accessioned into the collection, as the "related use" may affect the donor's tax consequences. 

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH