Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Visitor Experience models

Posted 05-12-2016 11:36 AM

I am the Visitor Experience Manager at the CMA and originally had charge over the front desk and group desk entrances.   In January of this year, we split our Security team and moved the 'gallery guards' off of Security and added them to Visitor Experience.   As a visitor centered museum, we wanted anyone the visitor interfaced with to be more customer service centered. The guards and not called Gallery Associates.   They are going through a lot of customer service training, how to deal with people with disabilities, sensitivity training, extensive collection training.   Security of the art and the visitor is still a part of their job, but enhancing the visitors experience in the museum is number one.   We have turned from a reactionary approach to a more proactive/learning approach.   I have also started cross training the gallery associates in other areas.   We have some cross trained on phones, front desk, and box office.   I have recently hired several art students from our neighbour school, Columbus College of Art and Design and have given 2 of them the opportunity to cross train with the preparators for exhibit installations.   The cross training serves several purposes. 1. Increases productivity, worth and pride in the job. 2. Utilizes the abilities of employees already at the museum in other departments cutting down on costs. 3. Adding to the skill set and resume of our employees making them more marketable.

This transition is taking some time for some to get used to, but I believe it is the most productive, and creative approach to staff development and staff retention.

I am happy to discuss more details off line or in this forum.

Thank you so much,

Kim

Kim M Hopcraft, CTA

Visitor Experience Manager

Columbus Museum of Art

480 East Broad Street

Columbus, Ohio 43215

------------------------------
    Kim Hopcraft
    Columbus Museum of Art

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Visitor Experience models

Posted 05-13-2016 02:46 PM

This is great! We did something very similar a few years back with out security here at the Aquarium. The initial culture shift took some work, once it was done the results were fantastic. We also incorporated several certifications and trainings from the National Association for Interpretation (NAI). The skills and techniques the NAI certificates helped tremendously, so has the understanding from the officers about the investment in their trainings to connect them to the mission of the institute and the guests. Our officers feel like they're more than door and fence watchers now.

If you ever want to chat or share ideas, please let me know. I'd love to talk, share, learn.

Kevin Wright

Security Manager

Monterey Bay Aquarium

kwright@mbayaq.org

Kevin Wright
    Security Manager
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    kwright@mbayaq.org
    Monterey CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Visitor Experience models

Posted 05-17-2016 12:12 PM

Sounds like great work, Cindy! We went through this shift some years ago as well. Our interpreters and front desk/customer services workers merged jobs to become Visitor Service Assistants. They are trained primarily as interpreters (and we hire as interpreters), who also have front desk responsibilities. Our training is focused on motivational theory and education, understanding audience, etc. Having a visitor-minded frontline staff encourages them to always consider meeting visitor needs first. Keep up the great work and let me know if you'd like to chat more sometime.

Allison Clark
    Minnetrista
    Muncie IN