Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-07-2016 09:00 AM

In the past year, a number of donors have given significant gifts of artworks (or collections) to universities or—in at least one case—hospitals, rather than museums. Have you seen this in your market? Do you have any thoughts about these donors’ motivations?

------------------------------
    Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-09-2016 10:10 AM

Not sure what you mean by "market" so please clarify and thank you. 

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-10-2016 06:50 AM

Steven -- I was primarily referring to your geographic region. However, it might also apply to your discipline (e.g., artifacts if you are a history museum, artwork if an art museum, etc.). Thanks for sharing any insights you have. 

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-11-2016 11:27 AM
    A tax deduction is a tax deduction. Donors can be motivated by various sentiments; for example, they might choose to donate to a university they consider an alma mater. If the university has no art museum and is short of funds, the picture can be placed on auction. Similar considerations apply to hospitals. (Yes, some hospitals have art collections!)

• 5.  RE: Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-12-2016 06:18 AM

Although, if the collection is not considered a "related use" by the IRS, then the tax benefits for the donor are reduced considerably. 

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH

• 6.  RE: Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-10-2016 11:37 AM

I'm not currently involved in donor relations, so to speak, but as a recent student who has worked at a number of university museums, it seems to me that this is how university museums get started. Many university museums begin with alumni donations, alongside acquisitions by the faculty in the course of their research. Specifically in regards to art, I've seen some cases where universities will accept donations and then distribute the art throughout the campus, displaying it in various cultural centers and other public buildings. In these cases, there is sometimes a committee that oversees conservation and rotation schedules, often drawn from university museums, departments, or local history centers. So I don't think there's necessarily a dichotomy between donations to universities and to museums.

I'm also not certain as to how museums might form their own equivalent of that "alumni relationship". I suppose it's not much different than engaging members and other audiences as normal, but it's hard to compete with the relationships universities form with students every day throughout their most formative years.

Illya Moskvin
    Software Developer
    Indianapolis Museum of Art
    http://lab.imamuseum.org/

• 7.  RE: Collections and art donated to universities, not museums?

Posted 05-11-2016 08:51 AM
    Edited by Stephanie Stassi 05-11-2016 08:55 AM

Many university's also have institutional collections of art and other such artifacts (I have once seen a wrestling belt in a university collection that was in the care of a university art museum). For some older Universities, the museum itself was an afterthought in order to manage/display this collection. There are also university collections that began with a a donor seeking to establish a museum at the university, so they give a large art collection and or money to establish such an institution. If this is the case, and the museum is recent, it could be that the donor has no connection to a university's museum since it was not present during their academic careers. 

In some contemporary situations I have seen, a university will accept the artwork in order to increase donor relations to the university. This can also benefit the donor who may feel as if they are contributing something great to an institution they love and/or get a tax write-off for donating the artwork (I have worked with an art collector who sometimes found it easier to donate (or gift) his artworks for the tax write-off if the object was not marketable) . These works might not be suitable to the university museum's collection, but since the university's museum cares for the university collection, the artwork (or object) in question will be forced upon the museum's care. 

Going back to donor motivation, it is also possible that a donor who gives artwork to a university's hospital could have a connection to that facet of the institution itself. Following the 7 Faces of Philanthropy methodology, they could be a re-payer who is giving to an institution that either contributed to their education and or restored an ill family member to health. It ultimately depends on the donor and their own personal collections why they donate artworks to a university rather than a university's museum. It could also be that they are not aware of the option of donating such objects to the university museum itself, but once again that depends on an individual situation. 

Stephanie Stassi
    Graduate Student in Museum Studies
    George Washington University
    Washington D.C.