Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 04-28-2016 09:15 AM

It is almost that time of year again –we have two Civil War themed day camps coming up. Last week I tasked a volunteer with inventorying our current First Aid supplies, that got me thinking….aside from the off the shelf standard First Aid kit is there anything else in the way of supplies that are recommended for stocking? Does anyone know of a standard First Aid supply checklist that is out there that can be referred to –a ratio of quantity of items to number of campers would be helpful in addition to necessary supplies. Finally, how much First Aid training for those who use camp counselors does your institution provide? Our counselors are all volunteer high school/college students. We do have a standard medical release form/allergy information that the parents/guardians sign and there is a chain of command when it comes to a medical emergency -911 for major medical emergency, lead educator, parent, site coordinator, etc…. If anyone has any insights to a standard First Aid supply list (especially for children/teens) and/or examples of training that there counselors receive it would be appreciated!

Laura Willoughby

Historic Site Coordinator

City of Newport News Parks, Recreation and Tourism

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 04-29-2016 09:58 AM
    Edited by Betsy Deiterman 04-29-2016 10:06 AM

Boy Scouts of America recommends this for a group first aid kit:

On Scout outings, the patrol or troop first aid kit can be carried in a marked fanny pack so it will be easy to locate. At a minimum, the kit should include the following:

• Roller bandage, 2-inch (1)
    • Roller bandage, 1-inch (2)
    • Adhesive tape, 1-inch (1 roll)
    • Alcohol swabs (24)
    • Assorted adhesive bandages (1 box)
    • Elastic bandages, 3-inch-wide (2)
    • Sterile gauze pads, 3-by-3-inch (12)
    • Moleskin, 3-by-6-inch (4)
    • Gel pads for blisters and burns (2 packets)
    • Triple antibiotic ointment (1 tube)
    • Triangular bandages (4)
    • Soap (1 small bar) or alcohol-based hand sanitizing gel (1 travel size bottle)
    • Scissors (1 pair)
    • Tweezers (1 pair)
    • Safety pins (12)
    • Nonlatex disposable gloves (6 pairs)
    • Protective goggles/safety glasses
    • (1 pair)
    • CPR breathing barrier (1)
    • Pencil and paper

This list is for Boy scout outings, so some of these won't be necessary in the city. I would also add a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a sleeve of gauze pads, an inexpensive bottle of eyewash, a small spray bottle filled with water (if you are going to be outside) some insect repellent and some no-sting insect bite reliever.  Add some stickers for the young ones. 

------------------------------
    Betsy Deiterman

Boy Scout volunteer, Longhorn Council, Fort Worth Texas

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 04-29-2016 10:56 AM

Hi Laura,

Until you get into the EMT levels of operation, the stocking of first aid kits is really more of an art than a science. Each place has its own risk profile and first aid needs will be different for each. Obviously, a 2 week BMX training camp for 16 year olds will have a much higher risk profile than an art day camp for 8 year olds. The BMX camp will likely need a higher quantity of supplies, a broader range of supplies and a higher level of training for their personnel.

I would first determine the training of your counselors. This is important because the training must be consistent and verifiable  and you must provide equipment and supplies necessary for them to work to the level of their training. I would suggest CPR/AED(if available)/ first aid certification through a nationally recognized program at a minimum and ensure that Blood Borne Pathogens training is included. If your activities include any significant exposure to bodies of water, lifeguard training might also be appropriate. If your normal expected response time for EMS personnel is in excess of 10 minutes you might want to consider recruiting volunteer EMTs for the program. I would suggest working with your local EMS provider as they can often be a great resource for training and in many cases they are community oriented people who are inclined to volunteer. They are also a great resource for what you can and can't do legally with respect to treatment.

As for supplies, a few thing I would suggest that aren't normally included in the basic kit include;

• Nitrile gloves in sizes appropriate for your trained personnel
    • CRP pocket masks
    • Chemical Ice packs
    • 3" roller gauze
    • Kerlex cling wrap rolls
    • A few larger wound dressings
    • Sting swabs for insect bites (great for outdoor activities)
    • fingertip and knuckle bandages
    • Flashlight
    • Quality medical sheers

If activities are spread out over larger areas you might want to consider creating smaller mobile kits. For some events I've used a fanny pack type kit that provides excellent hands free mobility while keeping adequate supplies and equipment readily available. These would typically contain:

Gauze pads - 6ea 6"x6", 12 ea 4"x4", 24ea 2"x2" individually wrapped

2 rolls of gauze

2 rolls Kerlex cling wrap

1" Adhesive tape 1 roll

Assorted size band aids 12ea/per size and type

Alcohol prep pads 12ea

Triple antibiotic ointment packets 12ea.

Sting Swabs 6ea

Hand sanitized 1 3oz bottle

Nitrile gloves 3prs

Medical Sheers 1pr

Flashlight 1ea

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I hope it helps. I'll be happy to answer any other questions I can.

Kenneth Bennett
    Director of Security
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

• 4.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 05-02-2016 08:40 AM

Others have provided great lists.  I will caution that you'll want to check to determine what you, legally, can give to any kids attending your camps (i.e. sting relief, sunscreen, bug spray, antibiotic ointment, etc.) before you administer it.  Here at the museum, we aren't allowed to give much but ice, alcohol wipes, and band-aids, and I have to sign a waiver for sunscreen and bug spray before my son's daycare will let him have it there.  Just a cautionary FYI...

Good luck!

Rena Lawrence
    Assistant Historic Site Supervisor
    Log Cabin Village
    Fort Worth TX

• 5.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 05-03-2016 09:19 AM

Going off of what Rena said-when I worked at a historic site in Michigan, we could only provide bandaids to guests, and in training it was emphasized that we could only open the box of bandaids.  The guest had to actually take one and apply it.  The idea was that if the guest was allergic to say, Neosporin or to the bandage itself, we could be liable for their medical costs if we provided the first aid supplies.  Obviously if there was an extreme situation it would've been a different story, but for everyday cuts and scrapes, that was the procedure.

Thanks,

Geoff Woodcox

Assistant Curator of Collections

State Historical Society of North Dakota

612 E Boulevard Avenue

Bismarck, ND 58505

(701) 328-3608

history-for-everyone-adaptation

• 6.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 05-02-2016 11:39 AM

Staples Business Advantage, one of AAM’s preferred purchasing vendors, provided us with the OSHA-recommended Minimum Requirements for Workplace First Aid Kits and Supplies. This document includes new regulations that become effective in June. I’ve posted it to the Open Forum Library.

Tier 2 and Tier 3 museum members can receive discounts from Staples Business Advantage on their first aid supplies through the Alliance Purchasing Cooperative.

Jennifer Adams
    Senior Director, Membership & Registration
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

• 7.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 05-03-2016 02:30 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. Yes, I should have prefaced my original inquiry in that we do run an outdoor Civil War camp where the campers are roaming our 10+ acres and involved in building fortifications and other military drills. Every summer we get the usual bug bites and minor scrapes. Your suggestions have been helpful!

Laura Willoughby
    Historic Site Coordinator
    City of Newport News
    Newport News VA

• 8.  RE: First Aid Supplies/Training for Summer Camps

Posted 05-04-2016 12:58 PM

My biggest nugget of a tip: last summer, we ended up purchasing reusable ice packs because we were going through the one-time use cold packs at an incredible rate. We were in close proximity to a freezer though. The instant cold packs are great when out and about, but if your campers are anything like ours, get more than you expect to need!

As far as training, one huge thing I recommend is doing a thorough walkthrough of every location you'll do activities in with your entire team. Point out and look for possible things that could be problematic and form plans among the team. We were in a very different setting than your camp, but for us, we were taking campers out of the museum into public, urban settings. In addition to first aid, we were thinking through scenarios such as what to do if/when a stranger appears to be mentally unstable and acts in aggressive/hostile ways towards your group; where are public restrooms we can use offsite and what is be the protocol for ensuring kids are safe in these settings; etc.

We also tacked on a variety of disaster response scenarios into our training (we tried to go as worst-case scenario as possible). For us that mainly meant earthquake scenarios (this may not be applicable to you, but in addition to the initial moment of an earthquake, we also thought through what would be our plan if the entire city was thrown into a lockdown and parents could not reach the museum to pick up their kids, how would we communicate the group's status rapidly to all parents at once [we worked with IT to get a dedicated line on the emergency response system already in place for museum staff], etc). We also had non-perishables and waters in easily accessible storage in the event that we had to keep campers at the museum longer than planned in such an event.

Hopefully this sparks some ideas for what may be appropriate/useful for your camp. Have a great summer!!

Amy Oates
    Assistant Manager, Institute for Research and Learning
    Exploratorium
    San Francisco, CA