Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Horrible behavior from field trip group

• 1.  Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-07-2016 08:11 PM
    Hi,
    I'm wondering what others have done when confronted with this problem. I've been at my current job twelve years and worked at 3 other museums previously, also in education. The group we had today was like nothing I've ever encountered. 66 children entered our museum with  3 teachers and a few chaperones and none of the adults had any classroom management skills at all. The children had not been prepared and they entered the building yelling, making confrontational remarks to our staff, to visitors, to each other. They never settled down for the program they came for, they were running, shouting and causing havoc in exhibit areas. Several "regular"visitors asked for their money back and left the museum because they and their children were so bothered by this group. Our  small number of floor staff was flabbergasted and our new museum teacher had second thoughts about her career choice.
    The teachers from the school seemed oblivious to the problems. We definitely don't want them back, but we felt as if we should let them know that their group's behavior was far from the norm and quite unacceptable. We host thousands of school children, so we have lots to compare.

Should we just let it go and pretend to be booked if they want to return next year or should we address this?
    Thanks for all thoughts.
    Maisie
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 07:04 AM

I would have put ALL the kids back on the bus right then and there. Taken them back to school, had them remain in detention for the rest of the day. 

------------------------------
    Jonathan Garberg

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 08:22 AM

We email the teachers rules/expectations when they book.  When the groups arrive, we give them the same rules/expectations, and we go over them with the students.  If we have a problem, especially complaints from visitors, we address it with the teacher in charge when they are here.  Most of the time, when a problem is brought to their attention, a teacher will take charge and get the students under control.

Since, this is now after the fact, I would contact the school.  You might want to talk to the teacher that booked the field trip and ask how they felt the field went.  Ask them, "what do they feel would have made the visit more successful?"  Suggest, that in the future, perhaps it would be more beneficial if they only brought one class at a time.  You may find out that all of the teachers were out with the flu, and they sent all substitutes that day.

If you feel that the teacher is totally clueless, then you might want to contact the principal.  Administrators need to know how their teachers and students are off campus.  They may have new teachers that need some training.  It would be a shame if future students are denied a museum experience, because the wrong teachers are in their position. 

Good luck.

Windy Cole

Windy Cole
    Volunteer Resource Manager
    Culture & Heritage Museums
    Rock Hill SC

• 4.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 09:18 AM

I absolutely agree with Windy. Clear communication about rules and expectations before unacceptable behavior occurs lays the foundation for successful visits. Doing this before the group enters the building, whenever possible, gives you the opportunity to meet and establish a rapport with teachers/chaperones, ensure group size is managed before entry and evaluate the demeanor of the group before it becomes an issue for other patrons.

Once the ground work is in place it is the responsibility of museum staff to ensure that group conduct remains within the rules and expectations. It is important to remember that museum visitors have a reasonable expectation that their visit will be free of exceptionally poor behavior, such as you described. Once the unacceptable behavior is addressed with the teachers/chaperones ejection from the museum may be the right answer if the unacceptable behavior continues.

School administrators need to be informed in any case where a teacher fails to control their students. If you want to contact the teacher directly and discuss what might have improved the visit I would say that is fine, but the administration should still be informed. Teachers are school employees and you have no way of knowing their individual histories, therefore you may be doing the school and the students a significant disservice by not informing the administration, thus giving them the opportunity to ensure the teacher is meeting employment standards and expectations.

Kenneth Bennett
    Director of Security
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

• 5.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-11-2016 07:31 PM

I agree with Windy. 

During the program, be sure to confront someone and let them know that if they can't turn around the behavior, they will be asked to leave before the program is finished out of respect for your other guests and concern for the care of your collection on display. I have sent one summer camp away that arrived with nearly three times the number of students they booked for without notifying me that I would need additional staff and then didn't support their kids to bring positive behavior. I only charged them half, but sent them home and hour and a half early and have been glad I did it every day I've been here. 

I still wouldn't let it slide after the fact. Write the teacher and explain that you don't feel like the students or adults were respectful of the ground rules you had gone over together and that they should consider preparing their groups for field trip behavior before they leave school in the future. 

Good luck!

Emily Zinn
    Curator of Youth Programs
    Boulder History Museum
    Boulder CO

• 6.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 08:49 AM

Yikes!

I would send an email (or letter, depending on which you feel is more appropriate) professionally outlining what you've told us here to the booking teacher and copy the school's principal .  I would also make it very clear that the group will not be welcomed back unless positive (or at least less negative) behavior can be assured.  

Then be sure to make a note so that they are not booked again anytime soon.  In addition, I wouldn't have hesitated to ask the group to leave if they were being that disruptive.  As museums we want to be accommodating, but that doesn't mean we have to allow others to run all over us.

Good luck!

Rena Lawrence
    Assistant Historic Site Supervisor
    Log Cabin Village/Van Zandt Cottage
    Fort Worth TX

• 7.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 09:27 AM

I agree with Jonathan, I would have put them right back on the bus. After problematic groups, I have written to the principal and described the groups behavior and informed her/him that this is not acceptable museum behavior and that we would appreciate the teachers prepare themselves as well as their students and chaperones if they ever plan on visiting any museum in the future.

Nancy Mathews
    Director of Interpretation
    Kenosha Public Museums
    Kenosha WI

• 8.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 09:53 AM

It's really rough on all your stakeholders when there is an issue with a school group.  I suggest you call the school principal and try to meet in person with them to explain what effect the school group had on your staff, building, visitors, etc.  Try to think about turning it around to be positive - perhaps this was the first time the teachers/school/kids had visited a museum of any sort, and they were not sure what was expected of them or the students (even if pre-visit material is available, we know that not everyone uses it).  Maybe you could do something with those teachers and the school to encourage better visitation and proper behavior in museums; for example, perhaps you visit the school first and review what's going to happen at the museum with the students and teachers so they can understand what to expect when they arrive (this could also be done virtually).  Sometimes bad behavior is a result of students being taken out of a familiar, comfortable environment.

You might also take the time to formulate some new policies regarding disruptive groups.  When I worked as head of an education department in a history museum, we had the policy that, if the group is not cooperating and you've exhausted all other efforts to work with them, stop the program and ask the group to leave.  In my 10 years there, we did that twice.  

What is in your pre-visit materials? How do you take reservations, check in with the teacher before the trip, and learn about their class to better prepare for the visit?  You might also revisit these policies/procedures/materials with your staff and see if you might include something else to encourage proper museum behavior.  Perhaps the school serves a population that has special needs; trying to find out as much as you can before the visit (have an actual conversation with the teacher!) may better prepare your staff/docents for the group and change how they work with them.  Maybe you develop a short video that teachers and students can watch before the trip about what to expect at the museum. 

Getting teachers - and especially chaperones - to understand what their role is during a field trip is a challenge.  I've suggested to two of my current projects that they have a "Chaperone Information Card" that explains what the role of the chaperones is, to hand out to the adults when the group arrives.  This information is also in the pre-visit packet, but is reinforced with the physical cards when they arrive.  (FYI got this idea from an article in Museum magazine).  We are testing it now at the two sites to see how it works.  I've even seen some museums that include, for teachers, a "contract" that they expect to be signed and returned that says that the teachers/chaperones will follow certain guidelines of what is expected of them (not sure how that works but it's an interesting tactic).

Bottom line - address it in a positive manner both externally (with the school) and internally (with staff/policies).  Use the experience as a way to grow and get better at working with challenging audiences.

Good luck!

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

• 9.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 10:49 AM

I agree with Claudia's positive approach to the situation.  Please do not just put them back on the bus.  That is punishing the students for the teacher's lack of preparation.  For some students this may be one of their few opportunities to visit a museum and you don't want their impression to be that they are not welcome.

I would also look at my expectations for school groups.  You want to make sure the students are engaged with the exhibit content and sometimes that may express itself with a little more excitement than we would like to see.  While I agree they shouldn't be distracting other visitors, I think people need to learn a little more patience and realize that during certain times of the day there will be children (god forbid) in the gallery having an educational experience that doesn't involve them sitting quietly with their hands in their lap.

Based on the many responses, this is obviously an important and relevant topic for all types of museums.  Seems like it would make a great program at next year's conference.

• 10.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-14-2016 11:40 AM

This thread has been incredibly helpful. I have made several changes to my pre-trip packet that I think will lead to much better experiences for our group visitors in the future.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned a Chaperone Information Card.  Does anyone know where I can find an example of one of these? I know I could just put all of the rules on a card and hand it out, but I want to use something that makes chaperones feel positively about their role.

Kristin Martin
    Education Director and Volunteer Coordinator
    Museum of World Treasures
    Wichita KS

• 11.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-15-2016 10:19 AM
      |   view attached

Kristin -

That was me, writing about the Chaperone Information Card.  As I mentioned, there was an article in Museum Magazine that sparked my interest in trying one out with two of the sites I'm working with (see November/December 2015, "How Can Museum Educators Work with Chaperones?") .

The National Gallery of Art has a card for chaperones that you can download as a PDF online.  I've attached the version I created for a National Park Service site. 

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Chaperone Welcome card.pdf   275 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-16-2016 02:42 PM

Regarding Kristen's request about chaperone cards, we've had this on our website for many years: http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/forms/chaperon_instructions.pdf

Fallsoftheohio remove preview

View this on Fallsoftheohio >

Whether the chaperone will read it (or get it from the teacher) is another matter. We've had teachers reading their logistics information on the bus as they are traveling to our facility. (Oops, so much for being organized...)

Most frequently it is the nature of a specific class. It is not usual to have several classes from the same school and one group is really bad (poor attention, rude, etc.) and another is the exact opposite. Teacher or students? It can be either or both. Orientations at the outset enable us to get a "feeling" for their interest and behavior.

Out of thousands, I've only had to quit one indoor lab because the teachers were behaving badly. And they had to the audacity to be mad because we couldn't teach their students due to their bad example! We've talked to principals about bad groups (usually due to inattentive teachers) and had them return in fine form.

We have offered free orientations for teachers to help them plan their visit. Talking to the teacher to understand their goals and objectives on the field trip can help, but sometimes it doesn't make a difference. As museum educators, we should plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 13.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 10:38 AM

Mary:

As a former classroom teacher who took her classes on field trips and as a former elementary school principal, I would encourage you to pick up the phone and call the principal of the school. In my current role as director of education at an informal nature center, I have had a few challenging school groups/camp groups, I try to give kudos when the group is well behaved either with a personal greeting to the leader as they are going out the door or a quick email. I have also picked up the phone and contacted the principal or head of the camp to let them know of the challenging situation created by lack of supervision and engagement. When I have done this, the person was very appreciative of the knowledge and the next time when they booked, they called to tell me that there would be increased supervision.

My viewpoint is that if I were the principal of the school and no one told me of their behavior, I would never know and would not be able to have a discussion with the teachers and students. The situation can not be changed unless the other party knows what took place.

Melissa Strongman
    Director of Education
    Lindsay Wildlife Experience
    Walnut Creek CA

• 14.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 10:45 AM

Hi Maisie.

I recently had the experience of being a museum visitor when a horde of unruly schoolkids took over the galleries. For the most part, we were able to change our own path to avoid them, but from the perspective of a visitor, these were my thoughts:

There weren't enough chaperones; I thought the museum should have required a minimum child/adult ratio.

The kids did not appear to be groupd by age (I'm guessing they were grade 1 -6). By grouping them by grade the guides might have held their attention better with separate age-appropriate programs.  

The chaperones themselves didn't seem all that interested or engaged with either the children or the art ... although I don't think there's much the museum can do about that!

Having not long before experienced an extremely well-behaved school group with engaged chaperones, it occured to me that these teachers were treating the field trip like recess --  a relief from the torture of trying to control the kids in the classroom.

I agree with your colleagues who suggest making rules & expectations clear in advance. That would give you something to fall back on when necessary. 

Alll the best,  Jane

M. Jane McIntosh

M. McIntosh
    Publisher
    Santa Fe NM
    MJM@ArtsAdvantage.net

• 15.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 11:29 AM

Absolutely you should let them know. In fact, you should set your standards and stick by them, and not allow people to stay in the museum if their behavior is not acceptable. How will these kids learn acceptable behavior if they are not taught?

Barbara J. Anello-Adnani
    Pratt Institute
    New York, NY

• 16.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 11:49 AM

Hi Mary-

We had one group two years ago with similar problems, including using abusive homophobic language against our guides. The teachers did not intervene, so I decided to contact the administration.

I gathered detailed descriptions of their time in our building and composed a letter, both hard copy and email, to the principal, describing what had happened. I then asked that they contact me directly either through email to set up a meeting or by phone in order to discuss the issues at hand. My final statement was that their school groups would not be welcome back into the building until these issues had been addressed.

As you may have noticed from the beginning of this note, that was two years ago. The principal never responded, and the group never rebooked. I do not regret the decision to send the letter one bit. My staff is not here to be abused, and though we are revenue supported, the small amount of money lost is nothing compared to having to replace a talented staff member should they leave.

Kurt

Kurt Griesemer
    Director of Museum Education
    Wisconsin Historical Museum
    Madison WI

• 17.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 12:06 PM

Hi Maise.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. As someone who was on both sides of the coin, as both a teacher in the classroom and a museum educator, I understand how frustrating it can be working with unruly students!

I totally believe that you have to take care of home before you address outside forces. Does your educators and other staff have classroom management skills? Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to have a specific professional development workshop on this...because it is obvious that not all teachers have such skills and sometimes, you just have to fill in the gaps. 

I also believe that having a teacher/chaperone requirement in terms of student count is important too just for management purposes. Perhaps one or two adults for every 10 kids perhaps. Not making any excuses for the adults, but perhaps, it was overwhelming for them to deal with so many students...unruly ones at that.

I agree with what everyone said...sending a clear behavior exception would work best and having the teacher and principal sign it so you have it in writing. One of the worst and embarrassing things ever is getting a call from some org/business that hosted a field trip saying their students didn't know how to behave. So please believe, sending a letter to the principal and a follow up call will result in a strong reprimand of both teachers and students.

Personally, I don't have any qualms whatsoever about asking a school group to leave, esp after I gave a few warnings. The students behavior was not only so chaotic that it alienated other visitors to the point they requested refunds but it could've possibly caused injury (to themselves or visitors) AND damage to an exhibition or just the museum property in general? How would you explain that to your board and/or stakeholders?

If they want to return next year, honestly, that's all up to you and the staff, but PLEASE don't feel bad if you don't want them back and don't pretend to be booked (even though the thought of that is kind of funny). Just say 'Because of this experience on this day, we would prefer if your school didn't visit the museum on this day. We would be happy to have you back at a future time." I understand that the many reasons students misbehave (and I have seen them ALL) but there has to be some sort of self-responsibility and expectations of the students and the adults in charge of them. I feel as if this would be a great learning experience for them.

Good luck!

• 18.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 02:58 PM
    Maisie,

I think there are a couple of ways that you could address this and/or use it to help your staff. It all depends on the relationship you have with the school and also what you are able to do at your museums. Forgive me for a long post as I lay out some potentials

* If you have a good relationship with the school it might be worth it to follow-up with whoever booked it and see how THEY thought the experience went. You would never want to go in and say "YOU all were XYZ" but you could potentially say "We are always trying to make sure that we meet the needs of the group that visit. How could we have helped your teachers/chaperones feel better prepared for the visit?" You might get some ideas on pre-visit materials, or ways that you could help set expectations very clearly when a group walks in the door.

* If you don't have any relationship with the school or someone at it, you could still potentially ask for feedback but it would be tricky to give them a heads up on the behavior issues without it coming off poorly. After all, you don't know what the back story is for those kids or those teachers/chaperones and there could be a lot going on that influenced what happened in your museum that day. Still, it could result in some useful pre-visit/expectation setting scripts for your staff.

* On the museum front, you definitely can use this as a learning opportunity for your staff! Give them a chance to vent (I could use a fancy term like "unpack" or "process" but...let's be honest they deserve a chance to just say WHAT HAPPENED?!?). You can also praise people who handled things well with the group, other customers etc. Then you can go back through what happened and see if there is anything you could do the next time something like this happens. Not in a way that lays any blame on staff response, but just to give them the tools to be better prepared.  Maybe revisit your policies on adult/child ratios, think through pre-visit or expectation setting before they step off the bus, role-play ways to respond to aggressive/rude behavior or to ask for help from chaperones.

I think that if you have the ability to use this as a learning opportunity you will be able to help your staff feel more prepared for the next time this sort of thing happens. Also, if you do have a chance to work with the school you could potentially help give them tools for these kind of experiences, rather then writing them off.

Those are my initial thoughts, feel free to email me separately if you want to talk through this more!

Sincerely,
    Sarah

• 19.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-08-2016 03:37 PM

You need to be in touch with the school  and share your experience with them.

In the mid 1960's my older sister's class went to Plymouth Plantation and behaved horribly. Plymouth Plantation called the principal of our school and banned any more school visits from our school. The message was heard loud and clear by the school and we were all warned severely after that incident before any school trips. i don't believe my school was ever banned from a location again.

Sarah Jacobs
    Artist
    New York NY

• 20.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-09-2016 04:48 PM

Have you had any other classes from that school in the past? And if so, then I'm assuming those had behaved appropriately?

I'd recommend calling the principal. I've had to do that only 2 times in the past 12 years - but it has had the necessary impact. I've let the principal know that the behavior was so bad and unacceptable that it will jeopardize whether we would accept ANY reservations from that school in the future. If visiting your museum is popular with the school, the other teachers will implement some peer-pressure to not loose it as a trip.

But be ready to stand by that statement if you make it. Document everything about this visit you described (including the other guest complaints and the lost revenue). Another idea in talking with the principal (especially if this school doesn't usually make other class trips), if the visit was really as horrible as you stated, you could ask that the principal personally accompany that grade/teacher/group if they ask to make a future visit.

Good luck!

Randi Winter
    Director, Visitor Services
    Wildlife Conservation Society
    Bronx NY

• 21.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-12-2016 06:58 AM

As museum professionals, it is our responsibility to prepare for all contingencies. I hope that before condemning the conduct of the class and going to the principal you thoroughly examine your own school group procedures and protocols to determine whether:

--staff and volunteers are adequately trained to handle such situationss

--a separate school group entrance is provided 

--a museum docent or greeter makes contact with the group leader upon arrival and orients the group 

The last thing we want to do is get teachers in trouble with their supervisors, ban students, and embarrass everyone involved. My advice is to learn from this unfortunate incident and make changes to prevent it reoccurrence.

Andrew Masich
    President & CEO
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 22.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-13-2016 05:57 PM
    Thanks to everyone who replied to this stream. I have decided not to contact the principal or send a complaint to the teachers. I am instead going to rewrite our program description and make sure that the reservation correspondence includes some language about expectations on both sides. As an institution, it was a wake-up call for becoming more proactive about scheduling spaces and humans in a way that will work better for everyone. It was reassuring to know that so many of you have had days like this and were willing to reach out.
    Thank you.

• 23.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-13-2016 11:57 PM
    4-13-16

Al Frank
    Active museum volunteer and consultant

It is important to keep the subject in the proper perspective. Improper
    behavioral displays do create problems and should be addressed. Based on
    the response in the Forum it probably occurs more often than is made
    known. Irregardless, it would be best to consider this kind of problem a
    challenge that will not be completely eliminated but mitigated to a large
    degree. Most often a museum field trip is provided by a school or
    organization with the purpose of expanding the education input to a
    student. As such the museum exposes the student to subject matter
    different from day to day classroom activities. As a museum, it is an
    environment for the student to expand that part of the learning process
    possibly not accessible in any other manner---both by first hand personal
    contact and a visual impression. As a result, the museums and their
    staff provide the method and environment as apart of the learning process
    and hopefully are successful in their transfer of knowledge they have to
    offer. It is important that the museum do have a well thought out
    procedure or protocol, and policy, discussed and in place in the event of
    "horrible behavior", or some other distracting or embarrassing incident
    that could be destructive or dangerous.

Being the student is the subject and primary purpose for this learning to
    even occur and be successful, it is necessary the school accept its
    responsibility and do its part prior to and during field trips. If the
    school is unable to instill basic courtesy and discipline while being a
    visitor or "guest" it should not be left to museum staff or management to
    engage in remedial actions relating to a student's, or chaperone's,
    personal deficiencies. Many museum staff are "professionals" while many
    may not be, especially volunteers.

It's important to do the prior, proper, planning, within both schools and
    museums, and, communicate adequately about anything contrary to good
    behavior in either direction. This includes personal, preferably
    written, notification of principals or supervisors, so effective remedies
    can be applied for the benefit of the students and chaperones involved.
    Be firm! Nothing can be gained by not communicating when appropriate or
    warranted.

Prior Proper Planning Positively Prevents Problems-----------It Works!

• 24.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-12-2016 11:32 AM

Hello Mary,

We host over 2,000 schoolchildren annually for docent led tours at LongHouse.  The children range in age from preschool to college kids. We haven't ever had to ask a group to leave but there have been some that have been pretty unruly. We try to turn that crazy energy into a little time out where we ask them to do some little physical activity like jumping jacks or "pose like this sculpture" - just a little time out to refocus their attention.  It is also true that sometimes teachers feel this is their time off and become very passive and not very interactive with their students and this behavior from the adults in the group does not help the situation.

We offer free tours to all schools and we feel that is important in these times of cuts to arts education and that it would be a shame to deny children the chance to experience art and nature (some have never been to a garden).  However, I would have no problem asking a group to leave if they become so disruptive that they pose a danger to others and themselves.  Also, as others have stated, I would call the principal and explain the circumstances of where the visit went off the rails and that this behavior is unacceptable.  Field trips are a wonderful learning opportunity but perhaps the first lesson is learning how to behave in public spaces.

Good luck and here's to no more group visits like that!

Joi Jackson Perle
    School Tours Coordinator
    LongHouse Reserve
    East Hampton NY

• 25.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-13-2016 02:09 PM

I won't claim to be an expert, but a few simple things we've done have seemed to help recently. About 1-2 years ago, an education professor interviewed several local museums to learn more about their school educational group visits. She had a few insights for us. Firstly, teachers she spoke with thought museum staff were in charge of the group and their discipline. Secondly, they weren't reading the packet of information sent to them citing the rules/etiquette. I've addressed those issues pretty easily now that I know they exist all in their confirmation email. First, I state in the 3rd sentence in that "by opening this email, they are bound to the etiquette cited in the attached document". Then I state that it is the chaperones responsibility to maintain control of their group at all times and not the museum staff, which is also cited in the attachment. 

We've certainly still have had unruly groups, but not as frequently or as extreme as your describing. I also am appreciating reading some of the other suggestions, and will give a few of them a try!

Best of luck!

Aimee Brown-Shadduck
    Programming/Education Coordinator
    Penn State All-Sports Museum
    University Park PA

• 26.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-14-2016 12:07 PM

Mary,

I'm still trying to locate an adult in the scenario given the childish response and considerations of the museum---subjecting a group of children to  judgment and ridicule on a public platform. Perhaps the group sensed your non-interest in having them in your museum and reacted accordingly. I find it hard to believe that a welcoming environment would elicit such resistance. People like to know that you care when considering what you think. In this case, it seems like you are seeking support for your pre-determined intention to un-invite this group from your museum. So just do it. 

Redell Hearn PhD
    Independent Museum Professional
    New Orleans LA

• 27.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-14-2016 04:19 PM

Redell,

I doubt the intent of this thread was to shame a group of children in a public forum. I do agree that a welcoming environment can make all the difference in regards to group engagement, but I have also experienced groups that refuse to behave or participate due to lake of supervision and apathy from the tour leaders. It happens from time to time and I am sure every museum professional will experience this several times throughout their career. In a nutshell museums have an obligation to provide welcoming and engaging programming while educators and group supervisors have a duty to make sure the group is prepared and adheres to the basic guidelines for acceptable behavior in a public place. 

Matthew MacVittie
    Collections & Exhibits Manager
    Seward House Museum
    Auburn NY

• 28.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-15-2016 02:16 PM

I agree with your comments Matthew.

Redell Hearn PhD
    New Orleans LA

• 29.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-15-2016 05:45 PM

As long as we're expressing opinions:  Unruly groups pose not only a threat to the rights of other visitors who deserve a controlled learning environment, but also can be a very real liability when the chaos leads to program disruptions (refunds), other disgruntled patrons (bad word-of-mouth) and even injuries to others (litigation).  In this equation, the poor behavior of an out-of-control group negates its rights and the consideration of others.

John Wharton
    Managing Director of Facilities
    Saint Louis Science Center
    Saint Louis MO

• 30.  RE: Horrible behavior from field trip group

Posted 04-14-2016 01:15 PM

This might help: SEVEN STEPS TO BETTER DECISIONS: A HANDY GUIDE TO WEIGHING YOUR OPTIONS

Redell Hearn PhD
    New Orleans LA