Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections labeling question

Posted 04-05-2016 08:40 AM

Hello all! I work in a small art museum and label most of our 3-D objects with the standard B72/ink/B67 combo. I can't seem to find acetone anywhere to use to remove labels when necessary (and really to clean my B72 bottles so they don't glue themselves together constantly...). Can anyone tell me whether a standard bottle of pure acetone from Walmart would work, or, if not, where I can order museum grade? I've checked Gaylord and University Products--maybe I'm overlooking it. Thank you!!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Baker
    Collections Manager
    Longwood Center for the Visual Arts
    Farmville VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections labeling question

Posted 04-06-2016 09:06 AM

Hi Elizabeth:

We just use acetone that we find at local stores.  If there is a museum grade product out there, we've never used it here.

Thanks, and have a great Wednesday,

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections labeling question

Posted 04-06-2016 10:52 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

Gaylord does carry acetone, but only sells it in 0.5 fl oz containers. Fisher Scientific also carries acetone although either of these options may be cost prohibitive. Another option would be to compare the MSDS of the Walmart brand to the "museum grade" acetone offered above (each site provides material safety data sheets for their products). Also, the Walmart brand shouldn't pose a problem to use on your B72 containers. I use an equivalent and swab down the rims of my B72 bottles after each use.

Hope this is helpful!

Cathy

Cathy Ritchie
    Collections Management Advisor
    Government of Yukon, Museums Unit
    Whitehorse YT
    Canada

• 4.  RE: Collections labeling question

Posted 04-06-2016 04:20 PM

You can purchase acetone at your local chemical supply store (higher grade) or at Ace Hardware. Be careful when using the acetone- your object may be soluble in it as well!

Tara Hornung
    Conservator
    Longmont CO

• 5.  RE: Collections labeling question

Posted 04-06-2016 04:50 PM
    Pure acetone from hardware stores or Walmart will work fine. Keep in mind chemically pure compounds (such as "reagent grade" used in chemistry labs) have low levels of chemical contaminants. Toxins are NOT given any extra attention.

When you use something such as acetone make sure you have adequate ventilation. I recall once when I was young and used to using acetone in a lab, I tried some in my kitchen—BIG MISTAKE—vapor levels almost overwhelming!

Rich

--

Richard A. Paselk, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus, Chemistry Dept.
    Humboldt State University
    http://users.humboldt.edu/rpaselk/
    1 Harpst Street
    Arcata, CA  95521
    (707) 826-5719
    rap1@humboldt.edu
    Richard Paselk PhD
    Associate Curator
    Arcata CA

• 6.  RE: Collections labeling question

Posted 04-07-2016 08:38 AM
    Thank you all so much!

--
    Elizabeth Baker
    (434) 547-8942

• 7.  RE: Collections labeling question

Posted 04-13-2016 10:53 PM

I find acetone usually at hardware stores, it comes in large containers. (I used to make B72, so I needed a large-ish quantity of acetone and toluene). I think I've also ordered it online before.

Kali Mason
    Curator of Collections
    Customs House Museum
    Clarksville, TN