Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 03-31-2016 12:43 PM

My group has been creating a freestanding interactive digital exhibit for science museums. The prototype has tested well, but we are making some changes before we produce the commercial version.  I was curious as to whether or not it should include casters.   Is it common for museums to move exhibits throughout the year?  Would that be an attractive feature or unnecessary? I would love to know if anyone has had a personal experience with this issue.  It's going to weigh about 150lbs.  Add wheels or not?     THANK YOU

------------------------------
    Ken Vale
    Executive Creative Director
    Artifact Design
    Atlanta GA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 03-31-2016 05:28 PM

For my taste, casters are great. But they should lock "both ways" -- that is, they shouldn't pivot or roll when they're locked. I wish everything we had was on casters.

Frank Smoot
    Executive Director
    Coos Historical & Maritime Center
    Coos Bay OR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 04-01-2016 11:38 AM

If you don't use casters, you might design the base so that it easily lifts with a hand-truck without causing any damage.

Dana Neitzel

Curator

San Mateo County Historical Association

2200 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063

Ph: 650.299.0104, ext. 230 | Fax: 650.299.0141

dana@historysmc.org | www.historysmc.org

image002.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image004.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image006.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image008.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230

Current changing exhibits at the History Museum:

Fighting the Bite (through April 2, 2016)

Experience the West:  Sunset Cover Art (April 5, 2016 through June 23, 2016)

Let's Play Ball (through September 4, 2016)

• 4.  RE: Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 04-04-2016 07:55 AM
     We at the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibition Service do not like castors.  Why, because they can break off if the item is moved frequently, necessitating complex repairs.  I suggest following Dana's suggestion of designing the base to be moved with a hand cart.  I have also regularly used a design where the bottom of case/kiosk/etc. is constructed similar to a standard pallet.  The pallet is concealed by panels of trim which can come off and on with such simple hardware as kitchen cabinet fasteners.  No tilting, and I've moved items weighing over a ton (a display base with a one ton piece of stone) using this method.  I did an AAMUS presentation with images and drawings of this method -- e-mail me if you want more details.  

Cheryl E. Washer                                        
    Project Director/Registrar
    Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service
    PO Box 37012; MRC 941
    Washington, DC 20013-7012
    202.633.3172; 202.633.5344 Fax

• 5.  RE: Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 04-04-2016 12:00 PM

Looking at the stand base, perhaps Cheryl's idea wouldn't work for this particular interactive, but hers is a great idea in general: slots that a pallet jack would slide into would be a terrific idea for cases, kiosks, wall panels, etc.

Frank Smoot
    Executive Director
    Coos Historical & Maritime Center
    Coos Bay OR

• 6.  RE: Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 04-01-2016 12:05 PM

Some museums will move it regularly; some will keep it in one place for years. I agree with Frank Smoot that casters should lock. The exhibit must feel as stable as if it didn't have wheels. Could you offer casters as an option?

Another possibility is two fixed wheels that touch the floor when the cabinet is tipped, making a self-hand truck. But the wheels are always visible.

Mark Driscoll
    Designer
    Montgomery AL

• 7.  RE: Mobility of Exhibits

Posted 04-03-2016 12:45 PM
      |   view attached

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to try to design something like what Mark is suggesting, so when the front is lifted a set of wheels touch the ground at the front.  Maybe I wont need to have locking wheels then.  Since the base is a 85lbs I think it will be stable enough- even with young kids climbing on it.  Our prototype works well but moving it has proven to be a big challenge.  Here is a still of the prototype if anyone else has any suggestions to offer.  Thanks again. 

Ken Vale
    Executive Creative Dir
    Atlanta GA