Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  alternate financial/funding models for state museums?

Posted 03-23-2016 12:33 PM

Do you have any ideas for alternate funding models for state museum systems?  Given the current situation in Illinois - see http://www.sj-r.com/article/20160321/NEWS/160329951/0/SEARCH for the latest development - and the governor's veto language - "the Department of Natural Resources and the Board of the Illinois State Museum shall solicit the assistance of the Illinois State Museum Society to fundraise non-State resources for the museum and to provide operational assistance to the museum" - we are interested in hearing your creative ideas for how the state might close the budget gap.  For example, one of our members suggested that museums could earmark sales tax from museum shops for state museum funding.  Surely there are others out there.  We look forward to hearing your ideas, especially if they have been tested in other states.  Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Gail Ravnitzky Silberglied
    VP Government Relations & Communications
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: alternate financial/funding models for state museums?

Posted 03-30-2016 10:21 AM

Other states are obviously in a better position to fund museums. Some have sales tax on recreational products that goes into a specific fund. Many years ago when I lived in Missouri they had this. So, when you bought things at places like Bass Pro (their number one tourist destination) sales tax proceeds went to parks. I'm not sure if they still have this. I do know when they implemented the lottery those proceeds were suppose to go directly to education and didn't. This caused disbelief and dissension in the voters. I believe IL's goes into one general fund.

Know your own Bone blog offers good suggestions backed by data that offers help in these areas. Here is one on how you are competing with for profits. The Game Has Changed: Nonprofits Now Compete with For-Profits (DATA)

Illumination Lights Up Attendance at The Morton Arboretum -

We have written several client success stories on how they raised funds for their cause. Here is one in IL - Morton Arboretum Illumination Lights Up Attendance at The Morton Arboretum -

And WI seems to fund some of their visitor serving places very well Fundraising Success Story: Horicon Marsh

Cheers,

Betty

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more