Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  16mm film looping projector question

Posted 03-21-2016 12:36 PM
    Hi All,

Does anyone have experience working with looping 16mm film projectors in a gallery setting? My question regards implementation, and impact on the equipment over the exhibition period, running perhaps 8 hours per day 6 days per week.

This is a good example:
    http://www.k3camera.com/k3/eiki-16mm-projector.php

... and the "Super Duper Looper" assembly:
    http://www.k3camera.com/k3/16mm-film-looper.php

The Guggenheim's "Photo-Poetics" show included an Elad Lassry film running on a loop, which made me curious how implementing the piece plays out over the exhibition period... are multiple projectors swapped out? Does the equipment break down or need replacement? Over 5 months, this must be an issue...

Thanks for any insights!
    __
    Nicholas Frank
    Lynden Sculpture Garden
    Milwaukee, WI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 16mm film looping projector question

Posted 03-22-2016 11:06 AM

Projectors break down with normal sporadic use, so it is likely you will need a backup projector and copies of the film loop.  I would contact the manufacturer directly for their maintenance recommendations, but at a minimum you will need to clean the plate/gate that holds the film in place between the lamp and projection lens--dust and dirt will accumulate there, and scratch the film.  The film itself will also need to be cleaned regularly, due to dust accumulation.  All moving parts on the projector will need some lubrication, again according to manufacturer specs. The life of the bulb will likely be shorter than stated, as the constant run will likely generate heat.  Humidity and room temperature will affect the dust buildup and durability of the 16mm film (you will need multiple prints over that period of time).  Find out who is making the prints of the film and ask the lab for their advice.

I don't have direct experience with running loops for extended times, but one of my first jobs out of college was as the 35mm projectionist for the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.

------------------------------
    Peter Argentine
    Argentine Productions, Inc.
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 16mm film looping projector question

Posted 03-23-2016 10:43 AM

I installed a number of installations with looping 16mm at AIC in Chicago, and we used the Eike Slim Line you have in your link. They didn't have their own looping platter at the time, so we used a second party who did (I can't remember the company name right now) but theirs wasn't nearly as neat and tidy looking as this "super duper looper". As Peter mentioned, you need to keep as many of the moving parts as clean as possible (plate, gate where film passes the bulb, rollers, and platter rollers), the bulbs last a decent amount of time but they will go out, and the film will degrade with scratching, but more importantly the sprocket holes will start to break down and cause the film to miss align and eventually break. You definitely want multiple prints on hand. And you will want a splicing machine with film tape to create the loop. I think we would get about 1-2 months per print of it running 8 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Bulbs would last anywhere from 4-6 months. We typically wouldn't have it on view for much longer than 2-4 months because of the wear factor.

John Tweedie
    Exhibitions Manager
    Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center
    Skokie IL

• 4.  RE: 16mm film looping projector question

Posted 03-24-2016 12:02 PM

Try contacting  

..MoMA NYC departments of Film and Media and Performance Art,   

..Walker Art Center,

..Bill Horrigan at the Wexner Center for the Arts

..also, a service organization for independents, including exhibitors is NAMAC (National Alliance of Media Arts and Culture) (415) 431-1391

They will also have an opinion about the most durable projectors, and where to find them.

[Christine] [Downing] [Independent Curator]
    Curator, Registrar, research
    ChristineChristineChristineDowningDowning

• 5.  RE: 16mm film looping projector question

Posted 03-28-2016 09:37 PM

Thank you all so much for your excellent advice and suggestions! This information is incredibly helpful, and I will be sure to folow up with the other institutions, particularly NAMAC (which I had not known of previously).

Nicholas Frank
    Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
    Milwaukee WI