Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technology as a tool for ADA compliancy

Posted 10-16-2014 10:28 AM
    Hello! 

I am doing some research into use of technology (preferably low-maintenance, low-cost) that can help museums overcome issues with ADA accessibility concerns. Can anyone tell me what their organization have used to help increase accessibility and improve the experience for handicapable visitors?

-------------------------------------------
    Jessica Casinelli
    Membership Manager
    Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
    Miami FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Technology as a tool for ADA compliancy

Posted 10-17-2014 10:29 PM
    Captions on all videos are an obvious and essential part of ADA compliance, but many museums forget about other audio that may be part of their exhibits.  If there is a button to press for playing audio (either through speakers or headphones), there should be a transcript or description of the accompanying audio.  If there is ambient audio in a space - music, animal sounds, etc - there should be a small description label on the wall, preferably with an audio-related symbol.  And one area where many museums fail to serve deaf and hard of hearing visitors is with their audio tours - many do not provide a transcript or ASL translation.

I'd like to see technology adapted creatively to achieve these goals - for ambient audio, the description label could be presented through text projected on the wall, which would give more of the "ambient" feel rather than just a static label...just one idea.

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more