Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-11-2016 04:27 PM

I have become aware of donation works and collections that have no known donation record. I wanted to make sure that these donations are properly documented but do not know how to proceed. Is there a best practice method? A few donors I have spoken with said they would be willing to sign a statement or form regarding their donation. Does anyone know of a sample form that could be used with or without the donors assistance? Or have you experienced a similar situation or advice? 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Carolyne Chronister
    Art & Gallery Coordinator
    Salt Lake Community College
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-14-2016 10:25 AM

First, you indicate that some donors are willing to sign paperwork, meaning there is a known source of the object.  What is the nature of the existing paperwork identifying the donors?  In many if not most cases, undocumented objects are devoid of the paperwork needed to even begin the process.  For objects that you want to keep or dispose of, you can run a public notice in your local paper indicating that you are looking for the owners of "a number of undocumented objects" in your collection and are looking for the rightful owners.  You may get inundated with calls, but without actual proof that someone either loaned or donated an object, you have little fear of losing anything.  After a period of time, and I cannot recall the legal period, the items can be considered "abandoned property" and you may do with it what you will.  I have been through this process a couple of times and never had any serious problems.

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-14-2016 11:20 AM

Hi David,

It is internal public knowledge who donated what. Some donations are recorded in the College's Banner system. Unfortunately Banner does not give any details about donation, only the value as a whole. In some situations I have found physical paperwork such as an email, letter, or asset report referencing a donation but not a deed of gift. In all cases, these are still current Donors and their donation cannot be disposed of.

Thanks,

Carolyne Chronister
    Salt Lake City UT

• 4.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-14-2016 12:48 PM

I generally create a formal Deed of Gift and, in describing the artifact, note that it was received earlier (using a circa date if I'm not sure).  Once the Deed of Gift is signed by both parties, the item is accessioned into the current year's gifts-the date when the accession paperwork was actually processed.  Unfortunately, we don't always know the donor.  In those cases, I just assign a found in collection number and hope someday the mystery will be solved.

Hope this helps,

Dana

Dana Neitzel

Curator

San Mateo County Historical Association

2200 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063

Ph: 650.299.0104, ext. 230 | Fax: 650.299.0141

dana@historysmc.org | www.historysmc.org

image002.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image004.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image006.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image008.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230

Current changing exhibits at the History Museum:

Fighting the Bite (through April 2, 2016)

Experience the West:  Sunset Cover Art (April 5, 2016 through June 23, 2016)

Let's Play Ball (through September 4, 2016)

• 5.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-14-2016 05:27 PM

I have a similar problem to this original post and would love some feedback.  We have a substantial amount of items donated and loaned to our collection by a former staff member.  There is no paperwork associated to these items other than their name or address label affixed to the items.  I am told by our current staff (been on board here for three months) that this former staffer has removed all of the items that she wanted back and all that remain in our holdings are to be considered gifts.  Again, there is no documentation and the conversation is hearsay since no one on staff was part of the conversation where the former staffer said that all remaining items are a donation to the museum.  For political reasons and her long history of not documenting her own gifts to the museum, I feel that a Deed of Gift is too heavy handed for this individual.  I have heard about a confirmation of gift in which the donor affirms their gift to the institution.  Has anyone used one of these?  What do they look like?

Nanci Gasiel
    Historical Museum Director
    Salvation Army Central Territory Museum
    Hoffman Estates IL

• 6.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-14-2016 05:34 PM

For items left at the museum (drop & leave) or found in the collection, when there is no donor identification or information, I complete our standard donation/deed of gift form.  For the donor, I simply put "Found at Museum".  I use the date in was "found" or "left" at the museum.  All available information is entered into Past Perfect with a notation in the comment file.  Then a paper copy file is made up.  These are the same steps used for donations/gifts when donor info is available.  You also might check your state's laws.  California has a specific sections in our Civil Code that are strictly for museums.

In addition to my listed position, I'm also responsible for our Collections Dept.

Raymond Meyer
    Safety & Security Manager
    Aerospace Museum of California
    McClellan CA

• 7.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-15-2016 09:57 AM

In Utah, it's the "Preserve Our Heritage Act."

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title9/Chapter8/9-8-P8.html?v=C9-8-P8_1800010118000101

If you know the donor, you can have them sign a Deed of Gift.

If the item was loaned (and you can't get the lender to sign a deed of gift) or you cannot get the donor to sign a deed, you can follow the procedure outlined in the state code. Unfortunately, in Utah that's only effective if you can show you've had the item for 25 years. (These acts in most states require 7 years.)

You can find information on a "confirmation of gift" in Marie Malaro's book, Legal Primer for Managing Museum Collections.

Linda Endersby
    Director
    Michigan Historical Museum
    Lansing MI

• 8.  RE: Best Practice for Undocumented Gifts & Donations

Posted 03-15-2016 11:25 AM

Thank you all for your advice and references, it has given me a clearer idea of how to approach these donations.

Carolyne Chronister
    Salt Lake City UT