Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Photography Medium on Labels

Posted 02-17-2016 02:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

As more artists utilize digital processes as opposed to traditional film processes to create their photographic works, I'm curious how other fine art collections identify the medium of photography on their interpretive labels. Do you even use the term photography or do you reference the process (inkjet prints, archival prints, giclée, gelatin silver print, Type-C color print, etc.)? I'm seeing more references to the techniques, but I question whether the general public will know what the terms mean and consequently, do they know what they're looking at.

Stephanie

Stephanie James

Curator and Collection Educator

Mott-Warsh Collection

111 E. Court St., Ste. 2C

Flint, MI 48502

Ph: (810)767-3989

Fx: (810) 7671207

Stephanie@mfo.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Photography Medium on Labels

Posted 02-18-2016 12:12 PM

Hi Stephanie,

When I worked for a museum with an encyclopaedic collection, it was policy to identify process in labels corresponding to photographic works, regardless of period--from Daguerreotype, Gelatin-silver print, Albumen print, and so on, to C-print/Chromogenic print, Giclée print, Cibachrome, etc. If there is a concern that, given the context, your visitors will not understand the medium, you could include "photograph" in the label in an elegant way. I do think that museums and collections, as educational resources, have a responsibility to disclose that information to their public. And process is, in many ways, still relevant to the discussion of photography.

Best wishes!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Navva Milliken
    Curator of Craft
    Bellevue Arts Museum
    Bellevue WA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Photography Medium on Labels

Posted 02-18-2016 05:21 PM

Interesting question.  I am a using digital Photoshop oil paint program to create digital images.  I have the most excitement taking "still life" images in the classic tradition and turning them into a new medium for my photography. I am still working on what do call them.

Leon

UM Flint

Leon Collins
    Grand Blanc MI

• 4.  RE: Photography Medium on Labels

Posted 02-19-2016 10:08 AM

Although, I look at signage with a background of knowledge, I am always frustrated to not find the information I am looking for when I read the signage. A photograph is a photograph no matter the process. I put down photograph and then the process used, if possible. When artists and designers give me work I asked for as much detail as possible, so that the viewer can look for that information when needed. I teach, so I am always asking my students to give me as much information, as possible, on the work that they are researching. Often the signage does not give this information which can be frustrating. Also, with digital media, I believe, that the processes used should be revealed to the curious viewer, whether they understand what it means is not at issue. They can always research right there on their smart phone.

Kathleen Driscoll
    Gallery Coordinator
    Newton MA

• 5.  RE: Photography Medium on Labels

Posted 02-22-2016 09:41 AM

Hello - 

I always believe that a photograph is an image captured with a camera regardless of the process used to develop, print or display it (is it not a photo just b/c its only shown on a screen?).  I just took down an exhibit by a local photographer where the introduction panel listed the work as photography and then on the individual labels list the material as "Framed digital print" as that it the only information available but had I known the type of digital print I would have preferred to put that.  Hope this helps

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA