Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Visitor surveys

• 1.  Visitor surveys

Posted 02-16-2016 04:51 PM
    The Milwaukee Art Museum is in the process of revising its basic, day-in and day-out visitor survey. We want it to be relatively short and concise--asking only things we will use in some way. Can anyone please share your surveys, suggestions, or wisdom with us? This would be very much appreciated. Therese Palazzari

Sent from my iPad
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-17-2016 11:01 AM

Not sure what you are wanting to measure, but the Minnesota History Center has a great exit survey using the buttons they give out to indicate paid admission. Visitors answer one question by placing their button in a collection tube that corresponds to their answer. It recycles the buttons and allows visitors to see the survey results.

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-17-2016 01:50 PM

Very ingenious! Thank you.

Therese Palazzari
    Director of Institutional Gifts
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 4.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-18-2016 09:47 AM

Hi

I agree about what you are trying to track. We collect zipcode data at our front desk and our systems allow us to track memberships and admissions. We often have different surveys or questionaires. Some will focus on level of comfort and welcome, others will ask for input on exhibits and furture projects. Some will have kids answering about different topics. We use collage walls, paper surveys, etc.. 

I love the button voting idea  as well.

Sandra

• 5.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-17-2016 11:57 AM

We ask where they are visiting from and how they heard about the museum before the visitor purchases admission. 

But I agree, what you ask depends on what you are looking to track. 

Jessica Strom
    Briscoe Western Art Museum
    Boerne TX

• 6.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-17-2016 01:54 PM

Thank you Jessica.

Therese Palazzari
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 7.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-18-2016 10:07 AM

There is a collaborative of museums developing a standard visitor survey. Funded by the IMLS, the Collaboration for Ongoing Visitor Experience Studies (COVES) is managed by the Museum of Science in Boston.  I am an adviser to the multi year project, The instrument is in early draft; it contains the Net Promoter Score question, which I recommend all customer surveys include. Contact Ryan Auster (rauster@mos.org) for more information. Standardization enables meaningful data comparisons.

John Jacobsen
    CEO
    White Oak
    Marblehead MA

• 8.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-19-2016 11:44 AM

Very interesting. Maybe we all should hold off until the COVES group finalizes the standard visitor survey. Do you have any idea when it may be available? I am particularly interested in the Net Promoter Score questions. Thanks John!

Therese Palazzari
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 9.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-22-2016 02:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I represent one of the Governing Body members on the COVES project that was referenced in an earlier post in this thread. COVES (Collaboration for Ongoing Visitor Experience Studies) is an IMLS-funded project that is working to create a system to collect comparative data about science center visitors, which would support not only individual institutions’ decision-making, but also provide field-wide data. The institutions represented on the Governing Body are helping to develop the pilot survey, collect data for the pilot study, and plan the long-range vision for COVES.

During the initial period, the focus is on science centers and science museums, although we do envision that eventually this system could be expanded to other types of museums as well.

We are still in the initial pilot phase of testing and refining the survey and have plans to present about the project at this year’s Visitor Studies Association and ASTC conferences. Ultimately, this is about more than just creating a survey – it’s about establishing a systematic process for collecting visitor data across multiple institutions so that we have better field-wide data about our visitors.

For more information about COVES, please visit:

http://understandingvisitors.org/ 

or email info@understandingvisitors.org

Elisa Israel
    Director of Research and Evaluation
    Saint Louis Science Center
    Saint Louis MO

• 10.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-18-2016 11:50 AM

We do very broad-based visitor surveys for our master planning projects. We are looking for responses to the museum as a whole, rather than to a particular  exhibit or experience, so that shapes what we ask. Here are a few thoughts.

Rather than surveying individual visitors, we ask one member of each group to fill out the survey for the group. We find information about the group size and demographics is often the most interesting response. We were surprised to find that for one museum, more than 40% of the groups visiting consisted of three generations, children, parents, and grandparents.  

We find it useful to ask about which parts of the museum visitors found most interesting or engaging. Again, answers to this are often surprising. 

We also use a lot of open ended questions and then code the answers based on responses. Why did you visit today? Is a great open ended question. So are: What surprised you? And What disappointed you?

We keep our surveys to under one page. That is plenty of data to try to manage without an on-staff analyst.

We find that we get interesting and useful results with relatively small sample sizes. 50 surveys will usually indicate a trend for a single variable. 100 will confirm it. (If you want to see the intersection of two variables, you'll need more data).

You can get a lot more information from the Visitor Studies Association.

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    http://www.museuminsights.co

• 11.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-18-2016 01:46 PM

I was just about to post a similar question. I am in need of suggestions for the actual questions to be asked of visitors, in particular in relation to an exhibition that they would have just seen. Can someone suggest question possibilities? The exhibition is one dealing with history and race issues but also has fine art components in addition to history content.  With thanks in advance!

Olivia Lahs-Gonzales
    Director
    The Sheldon Art Galleries
    Saint Louis MO

• 12.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-21-2016 03:20 PM

I was just part of a learning collaborative through the California Association of Museums on this topics. Some general advice from that experience would be to keep it short and having in mind how you are going to give it (will it be paper, digitally on a tablet, or emailed after their visit), that how it is designed could affect the outcome (are you giving free answer space, just giving options to check), and to test it. Run it by colleagues, friends, family etc to make sure it's understandable as well as reviewing the preliminary results to see if it is actually addressing the question you want to answer. For example, in our case study, we got many answers in a category that made us realize there should have been a follow-up question to understand why participants were giving that answer. 

Good luck! 

Ray Smith PhD
    Director
    Corita Art Center
    Los Angeles CA

• 13.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-23-2016 08:21 AM

We have participated in AASLH's Visitors Count! survey.  The advantage of that program is that you'll get training on how to administer the survey (and you get to have a certain set of questions that are specific to  your institution), and you get to compare your results with other museums with similar characteristics.  It's intensive work and exhaustive data, not intended to be done year in/year out.  You do this one every three years and develop shorter instruments for the in-between periods.

We've also paid others to do marketing surveys and other customer satisfaction surveys.  I would say, that of all the different instruments we've used, AASLH's has been by far the best.  It costs $$, though (far less, however, than other companies we've used).  I think it's a great investment, especially for any museum that is going through exhibit redesign or strategic planning.

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 14.  RE: Visitor surveys

Posted 02-25-2016 09:21 AM

We have also used Visitors Count, and I would recommend it. Getting the surveys done requires a lot of intense work, but most of the data analysis is done for you, which is wonderful.

Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL