Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gears

Posted 02-15-2016 10:40 AM

I am looking for resources and information to build a clockwork mechanism with a weight that drives the rotation similar to what was used in a lighthouse.

I would like to build a demonstration piece for the museum. 

Kurt

------------------------------
    Kurt Sigmund
    Museum Associate
    St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum
    St. Johns FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gears

Posted 02-16-2016 06:19 AM

The Lighthouse Museum in Rockland, Maine, would be a good place to start..

Colin Windhorst PhD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gears

Posted 02-16-2016 10:58 AM

Hello Kurt,

If you're trying to build something functional and reliable, but not necessarily "old looking," then I'd suggest looking at industrial supply places like McMaster-Carr   Another idea is the folks that supply parts for robotics competitions, and the only one that springs to mind is Andy Mark, here is their page on gears, http://www.andymark.com/Gears-s/85

If you really want a project you could use CAD and draw up what you want and 3-D print it, but the printing could take months!

Good luck and have fun!

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
    Springdale AR

• 4.  RE: Gears

Posted 02-16-2016 11:47 AM

Kurt,

Can you clarify, are you looking for resources so you can build it yourself? Or, are you looking for someone to build it for you?

A book just popped up on my radar: 507 Mechanical Movements its on Amazon, It could be a good place to start. 

McMasrer Carr is great for everything under the sun mechanical. as long as you know what you are building.

Real gears can get expensive, You could look to your local university or a local fab shop to see if someone could 3D print the gears in colors that would help your demonstration. 

lastly, I have worked with the folks at Kidzibits in Minnesota a bunch, they would likely be able to build a piece for you if that is what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Bart

Bart Hays
    Senior Exhibition Designer
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Monterey CA