Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LED Lighting

Posted 02-11-2016 07:12 PM

I'm curious about experiences with and recommendations for transitioning from halogen spot and flood to LEDs.

Color temp and preferred brands and any brands to avoid.

Thank you

TomJ

------------------------------
    Thomas Johnston
    Evergreen Gallery, The Evergreen State College
    Olympia WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 02-12-2016 08:57 AM

Paul here at Milwaukee Public Museum. I am the person for replacing the lighting in the exhibit cases. I have been ordering TCP brand LED lighting products for several years. We order the 3000K color temperature.

They offer a very lenient warranty on their products & the supplier stocks them in town. We use the "Elite" Par series in many cases & exhibit area. I started to convert our Rain Forest exhibit back in May of 2010.

A school group went thru the exhibit and hit every other 39 Par20 Narrow Flood halogen to where the lamp burned out. Normally, a case of 15 bulbs will last me a month, the case was gone in 1 day. I secured permission

From our Exhibit Lighting Designer & the museums CFO and ordered the LED marketed by GE. These were only rated 25,000 hours but found that they lasted well into 2014.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 02-12-2016 09:12 AM

Hi Tom,

We have been in the process of switching over all of our lighting in our museum to the LED as a part of our Green Initiative. It does throw off a different kind of light but it's so worth it! You can find bulbs right on Amazon, you just have to be sure they will fit your fixtures. You also want to pay attention to how much area they cover. They do have a degree figure on them for how far the light shines. Our electrician recommended Creed Light bulbs. He said they are good quality and long lasting. You can get them in a warm tone as well as a bright white. They certainly help cut down how hot it gets in smaller areas, and they have made a huge dent in our electric bill.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Debbie

Debbie Miles
    Associate Manager of Guest Experience
    Head of Facilities and Rentals
    Abbe Museum
    Bar Harbor ME

• 4.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 02-12-2016 10:41 AM

Tom,

We started a gradual transition to LED lamps for of gallery fixtures in February 2013.  We have used a variety of brands.  The first one we installed at that time is still burning and, overall, the transition has been painless and positive.  In addition to our galleries, we have also begun to transition to LED lamps in other "can" fixtures in our facility.  To date, we have not had to replace any of the LEDs that we have installed.  Based on the results so far, over time, this will result in significant savings for us compared to what we spent annually on replacement bulbs.  As noted the light quality is a bit different, but the positive outcomes are worth it for us.  Best wishes with your project.

Deborah Bigness
    Manager of Site Operations, Lubbock Lake Landmark
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 5.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 02-16-2016 02:59 PM

We recently switched to LED (2 years ago). We got both Par20 and par 30:

Philips Lighting - 8PAR20/END/F36 2700 DIM 6/1, Lamps - PAR20, LED - Reflective, Bulbs,, Ballasts - Platt Electric Supply

Platt remove preview
    Philips Lighting - 8PAR20/END/F36 2700 DIM 6/1, Lamps - PAR20, LED - Reflective, Bulbs,, Ballasts - Platt Electric Supply
    Philips Lighting 8PAR20/END/F36 2700 DIM 6/1 8 Watt Dimmable LED PAR20 Dimmable LED Lamp, 8W, 120V, Bulb: PAR20, Base: Medium Screw (E26), Lumens: 450, CRI: 84, Color Temperature: 2700K, Beam Angle: 36º, Rated Average Life: 25,000-45,000 Hrs. *Philips Part # 42615-5* 50W Equivalent.
    View this on Platt >

We love them.Feel free to call with any questions or follow up via email

Monica Miller
    Executive Director
    Gallery One
    Ellensburg, WA
    Director@gallery-one.org
    509-925-2670

• 6.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 02-15-2016 05:40 PM

We just finished the year long process of replacing all of our PAR38 lamps with LED lamps. Prior to that I spent nearly a year evaluating 16 different LEDs from any manufacturer who's lamps met my criteria for CRI, McAdams points, beam spreads, etc.

I'm reluctant to endorse any particular manufacturers on the forum, but you can reach me at the email below and I would be happy to talk about it. 

Architectural Lighting Magazine did a brief article about he process we went through:

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Testing Switch to LED Lamps

Architectural Lighting remove preview
    Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Testing Switch to LED Lamps
    The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Mo., has been conducting a test the past several months to determine how best to change its stock of existing PAR lamps used throughout the museum and its gallery spaces, to LEDs. Clint Paugh, the museum's in-house lighting designer is overseeing the project that will run through Thanksgiving weekend (Nov.
    View this on Architectural Lighting >

Clint Paugh
    Manager, Lighting Design and Project Management
    Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    4525 Oak Street
    Kansas City, MO  64111
    cpaugh@nelson-atkins.org
    (816) 751-1229 office
    (816) 898-7354 cell
    (816) 751-0497 fax

Clint Paugh
    Manager, Lighting Design and Project Management
    Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    4525 Oak Street
    Kansas City, MO 64111
    cpaugh@nelson-atkins.org
    (816) 751-1229 office
    (816) 898-7354 cell
    (816) 751-0497 fax